cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At what point did you get a decent Credit Card Limit?

tag
Kenro
Regular Contributor

Re: At what point did you get a decent Credit Card Limit?

Once I graduated from BofA secured like 2 months ago.

Got approved for Amex ED and Amex Cash along with Green Card... Both submitted days apart and approved for 9 and 10k

Message 31 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow at BestBuy CLI, that was a big difference!! Congrats!

Message 32 of 44
kjel
Established Contributor

Navy Fed, 14K.

I applied for their cash rewards after a judgement was vacated through a negotiated settlement and my reports updated. I think I was in the 680s when they approved me. Prior to this I had a $3K and two $1,500 CLs with Capital One all with long, on time payment histories. I was showing a teeny balance on one when I app'd. Frankly I was surprised at the level of CL, was expecting something more like $5-7K.

Now I also have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, approved at $5K and a Amex Blue Cash Preferred approved at $2K (but will do the 3X CLI next month), EX & EQ are in the 700s and my stepchild TU is hanging out in the 670s.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 33 of 44
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Technically it was my Discover IT with a $6000 CL but I also got my CSP on the same day with a $6500 CL. Scores were around 680 at the time.

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 34 of 44
achromatic

My first ever $5k+ limit was in 2001 for a Citi AT&T MC (don't know what my score was)

My first starting limit of $5k since rebuilding was for the RC a month ago with EQ 659. First limit to reach $5k+ (via CLI) post rebuilding was Lowes about 18 months ago with a TU of 652.

Message 35 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure I'll have a 5k limit for a while, I'll see what CLI I can get from Amex after the 61 days, have it marked on my calendar, haha, not sure I'm fit for a 5k limit yet though, I'm in college and only work part time Smiley Sad I'll get there someday!

Message 36 of 44
TrulyyBlessed
Regular Contributor

I got a decent limit after reading on this forum about NFCU. Prior to applying I had a $600 Wally card and 2 secured credit cards ($2500 each). NFCU approved me for $12,500 with a 686 Fico score. 

Starting Score: Nov. 2012 585
Current Score: EQ 733 EX 777 TU 743 Goal Score: 750+

Message 37 of 44
jzamarripa3220
New Contributor

My first card(s) approved for 5k was the amex ed and right after the ED app, I apped for the us cash+ which was approved for 5k as well. However, my first 5k or plus cards were the amex BCE at 10k, BofA 123 rewards at 7500, and cap one qs at 5k. Experian was at 723 with Ed approval with about 12 INQ and AAoA at 10 months with eight of my ten accounts opened within the last 6-8 months. TU was at 746 with 4 INQ same AAoA during the same time. Chase also reported my Equifax at 707. This was all around March 9-11.
Message 38 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

First 5k CL was Sapphire in August 2014. One month after my first two credit cards. $500 Freedom & $300 Platinum. idk what I was thinking applying for it and I really dont know wth Chase was thinking approving me but it was a pretty awesome day Smiley Very Happy Scores at the time were 660-670ish, AAoA was under a year
Message 39 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Highest card I ever had when I was 18 was a $2,000 Discover. And at the time, I thought that that meant I was doing well. LOL

Now, rebuilding... I kinda did a hop, skip and a jump over $5,000.

$250 Secured USAA MC (June 2014)... hopped to an Unsecured FNBO SS AmEx $1,000 (October 2014)... skipped to a Cap1 Quicksilver $3,000 (3/20/2015)... then jumped to a Cap1 Venture $10,000 (3 minutes after the QS). Scores were about 648 across the board for the Cap1's.

I'm heavily rebuilding though. Like everything remotely bad should be gone by mid Summer, at the latest.

Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.