cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At what point it becomes too much Credit available?

tag
phoenix_one
Contributor

At what point it becomes too much Credit available?

100% of your income? 150%?

I am quickly approacing 100% of my annual income and I am concerned that I could start getting denied because of my available credit.

Can somebody shed some light in to the matter?

No Mortgage. No Car loans. Utilization less than 3%.

Thanks for your insight.

Starting Score: 660 - 2010
Current Score: Experian 758, Equifax 767, TransUnion 754
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: At what point it becomes too much Credit available?

@phoenix_one wrote:

I am quickly approacing 100% of my annual income and I am concerned that I could start getting denied because of my available credit.

Thanks for your insight.

I would say it depends on your history. 20 year aaoa, 800+ ficos, no baddies. You could probably hit 1000% if you had an app spree fairly often.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 14
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@phoenix_one wrote:

Thanks for your insight.

I would say it depends on your history. 20 year aaoa, 800+ ficos, no baddies. You could probably hit 1000% if you had an app spree fairly often.

If you app-spreed that often, I doubt you'd have a 20 year AAoA. Smiley Happy

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 3 of 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

@phoenix_one wrote:

Thanks for your insight.

IMHO as long as you show responsibility and as history grow with lenders they aren't to worried about the ratio

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

Banks analyze many different factors in order to determine their maximum exposure to each client. Length of credit history, derogs on file, payment history, internal scoring, amount of money deposited / invested with them, duration of employment, etc.

Its hard to tell what your maximum exposure is going to be. Only way to know is when you start getting declined or adverse action is taken against you.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 14
mnscoutNYC

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@phoenix_one wrote:

Thanks for your insight.

Very trueSmiley Happy

Message 6 of 14
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@phoenix_one wrote:

Thanks for your insight.

Consistent apping from 18 years old until retirement would yield a 20+year AAoA. I think it could happen; $100k annual income yielding a combined limit over $1m. That would be a lot of time spent chatting with underwriters..haha

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 7 of 14
Sabrian31487
Regular Contributor

I was nervous about this as well concidering i only made 26500.00 a year and i already had 20000.00 in credit. Went to apply for a second American Express card and guess what.. Not only did they give me another card, it is my highest limit card at 7000.00 .. I have more in credit than i make a year! WOOPS!! 

Discover IT 02/2013 (1000.00),Chase Freedom 02/2013 (3000.00),AmEx Blue Cash Everyday 06/2013 (3000.00)
Citi Simplicity 06/2013 (1000.00)
TU FICO - 718 , CK TU - 738 , Credit.com EX - 727, Quizzle.com - 720, CreditSesame.com - 720

Message 8 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Banks analyze many different factors in order to determine their maximum exposure to each client. Length of credit history, derogs on file, payment history, internal scoring, amount of money deposited / invested with them, duration of employment, etc.

Its hard to tell what your maximum exposure is going to be. Only way to know is when you start getting declined or adverse action is taken against you.

+1.   And it is individual by lender.  Citi rejected a small $3k CLI because of too much credit (probably due to my exposure with them) but since then other lenders have given me a $3k, $5k and $6K CLIs.   The Citi rejection happened at a fairly low ratio, CL to income of about 1.5.

Message 9 of 14
Smug
Established Contributor

I am at almost 4 x my income and have stopped.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.