cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At what point it becomes too much Credit available?

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: At what point it becomes too much Credit available?

There's really no one-size-fits-all answer to these questions.  Too much is whatever you can't handle.  Beyond that, it depends on your credit and the lender (they don't all use the exact same criteria).

Message 11 of 14
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I've been wondering about this as well because I now have more credit than income by about 7k. So does it matter more to the lender how much you have with them or how much you have as a whole with everyone?

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 12 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@snowkitty wrote:

I've been wondering about this as well because I now have more credit than income by about 7k. So does it matter more to the lender how much you have with them or how much you have as a whole with everyone?

It varies by lender.  Some lenders have an overall maximum exposure that thay can extend while others can determine you have too many available open TLs.

Message 13 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

As enharu said, the way you find out is when you get declined or have AA, too many variables to predict!  (Well, if you keep your CL at 0.01% of your income, you are probably safe!)

There is not a lot you can do before it happens, except to keep pruning any CLs that aren't useful any more.   Problem is that for many these are things like store cards with low CLs, so closing them doesn't impact total CL that much (unless you have lots of them.)

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.