cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempted Amex CL increase but found out they changed the rules....

tag
gNaRKiLL
Regular Contributor

Re: Attempted Amex CL increase but found out they changed the rules....

I got my card less than a week ago and was advised to wait just 30 days for my cli, I guess I better shoot for the stars on that one...
Message 11 of 63
fused
Moderator Emeritus

scoppe wrote:
silly:  What type of card and how long has it been open?

fused: I'm not aware of any change that took place last week.  I'll check in the morning when I get to work.

Are you an Amex employee?
Message 12 of 63
scoppe
New Contributor

yeah, and I've learned more about repairing my credit on this forum than all my years at work.

Go figure...

Starting Score: EQ 650 TU ???
Current Score: EQ 683 TU 777
Goal Score: EQ 750 TU 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 63
fused
Moderator Emeritus

scoppe wrote:
yeah, and I've learned more about repairing my credit on this forum than all my years at work.

Go figure...

Funny you should say this, a few weeks back I was giving advice to a CSR on the fastest way to improve her FICO scores. Evidently she wasn't aware that having a few CCs reporting nearly
maxed-out would tank her scores because she says she never goes over-the-limit and always pays on time. Don't remember her name so I don't know what ever came of it.

Message 14 of 63
scoppe
New Contributor

Well, I did know that maxing out was not good thing, so I seem to be one up there.

Trying to help my ex repair his credit is what helped ruin mine.  But, he did do it with my permission, I WAS the one who put him on my cards in the first place, so I have to take my lumps there.

After years of living a "cash only" existence, I decided to get a CC (Amex, naturally Smiley Wink), and then got serious about my own credit when I ran my report for a landlord. Ouch!!

I've done good the last 4 months, all because of you here on the forums.  I'm constantly educating people at work now, based on info gathered here.

I don't yet qualify for the Sleigh Center, but I do call myself a FICOholic. Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 63
kclb
Regular Contributor

Hm.

I just got my Amex too. My CL is 2k but I was thinking increasing it between 500-1k after 30 days. Safe or establish more history before deciding on any increases?

Thanks.

-
EX - 677 | EQ - 714 | TU - 724 as of December 4, 2013.
-
CC - Bank Of Hawaii - Hawaiian Airlines - $1500 / AMEX - Costco - $1200 (Nov '13) / Discover IT - $1200 / Aloha Pacific Credit Union - $3000 / AMEX - Blue - $6500 (authorized user) / Chase - CSP - $5000 (Dec '13)
-
Closed Accounts - AMEX Platinum.
Message 16 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone, I just called amex and spoke with two different csr and they assured me that nothing as changed as far as the request for a cli.. You have to wait at least 30 days between atemtps.
Message 17 of 63
scoppe
New Contributor

Ok, here it is:

CLI's will not be approved if the account has been open for less than 30 days.

You CAN apply for a CLI every 30 days, but any one account will not be systematically approved for a CLI more than once every 6 months.

If you are declined, tell the rep "thank you", hang up and call 1-800-576-8942   M - F 9a - 12a EST, 10a-6p Sat. EST.  This dept cannot help you if you do not have a recent request put through by a CSR, but they are humans and can make decisions outside of the system.

Calling is not a guarantee of approval, but you will at least be speaking to someone who can override.
EX score is very important when speaking to them to get an override. 

Message 18 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats interesting ...
I went for an increase on my account last night and got the 7 to 10 days message.
This would be the second time for a CLI within 6 months...
Why not an immediate response saying no CLI within 6 months , just like the 30 day message ??
Message 19 of 63
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

fused wrote:

scoppe wrote:

Go figure...

Funny you should say this, a few weeks back I was giving advice to a CSR on the fastest way to improve her FICO scores. Evidently she wasn't aware that having a few CCs reporting nearly
maxed-out would tank her scores because she says she never goes over-the-limit and always pays on time. Don't remember her name so I don't know what ever came of it.

Way back when I posted about a similar conversation with a Chase employee.  Chase are now recommending MyFICO to find out about credit  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 20 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.