cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempted Amex CL increase but found out they changed the rules....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Attempted Amex CL increase but found out they changed the rules....

Well, I got a letter in the mail today, and it does state that you cannot ask for a CLI more than once every 6 months. I have it in writing !
Message 41 of 63
Eric958
Established Contributor

Had my card 3 mths, the csr told me today its 6mth. I should of tried @ activation.

Never Give Up!!
Message 42 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSR explicitly told me on activation that I could request a CLI after 30 days.  She didn't say "every" 30 days, but "after" 30 days.

So before my first 30 days are even up they change the rules on me?  I was going the conservative route and planned to request a CLI after 3 months.

Guess that's not conservative enough for them.

Is this confirmed that the new 6 month rule applies to new accounts as well?  There was a previous post by TheCynicalOne which seemed to imply that the rule still may be 30 days for new accounts, but every 6 months after that.  I haven't seen it actually spelled out though.
Message 43 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

30 days after your account is activated...
but only once every 6 months.
sooo, once you open an account ... you can request a CLI after 30 days...
Then it will be 6 months from that increase request before you can ask again .

Or at least thats the way I understand it ....

Message Edited by JFritz001 on 12-10-2007 10:50 PM
Message 44 of 63
kclb
Regular Contributor

Hm... I called them and was approved for $1k increase from my current $2k. I just had it for a little over 30 days. Won't ask for more until I reach my 6th month. They told me that they check annually so I hope I get a nice reward once I reach one year.

-
EX - 677 | EQ - 714 | TU - 724 as of December 4, 2013.
-
CC - Bank Of Hawaii - Hawaiian Airlines - $1500 / AMEX - Costco - $1200 (Nov '13) / Discover IT - $1200 / Aloha Pacific Credit Union - $3000 / AMEX - Blue - $6500 (authorized user) / Chase - CSP - $5000 (Dec '13)
-
Closed Accounts - AMEX Platinum.
Message 45 of 63
kclb
Regular Contributor

Hm.

Does AMEX offer temporary CLI? I'm planning to take a trip next year and wondering if it's possible to ask for a temp increase then PIF right after?

I remember asking First Hawaiian Bank, a local bank here in Hawaii and they can do it. But I'd rather give some love to my Amex card...

haha.

-
EX - 677 | EQ - 714 | TU - 724 as of December 4, 2013.
-
CC - Bank Of Hawaii - Hawaiian Airlines - $1500 / AMEX - Costco - $1200 (Nov '13) / Discover IT - $1200 / Aloha Pacific Credit Union - $3000 / AMEX - Blue - $6500 (authorized user) / Chase - CSP - $5000 (Dec '13)
-
Closed Accounts - AMEX Platinum.
Message 46 of 63
notmyname
Regular Contributor

That's what AmEx calls having a CHARGE card.
RP
Message 47 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

cheddar wrote:
CSR explicitly told me on activation that I could request a CLI after 30 days.  She didn't say "every" 30 days, but "after" 30 days.

So before my first 30 days are even up they change the rules on me?  I was going the conservative route and planned to request a CLI after 3 months.

Is this confirmed that the new 6 month rule applies to new accounts as well?  There was a previous post by TheCynicalOne which seemed to imply that the rule still may be 30 days for new accounts, but every 6 months after that.  I haven't seen it actually spelled out though.

Cheddar, you may not wish to try every 30 days. That is not conservative enough for them. Every six mos is fine- give them time and they will be your favorite CC if you play the ball game correctly. Keep your overall credit picture good and they will treat you well.
Message 48 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

netpanther wrote:

cheddar wrote:

Cheddar, you may not wish to try every 30 days. That is not conservative enough for them. Every six mos is fine- give them time and they will be your favorite CC if you play the ball game correctly. Keep your overall credit picture good and they will treat you well.

Agreed, netpanther. I actually said I was going to try after 3 months, not every 30 days.

In any case, I'm past my first 30 days now, so I'm technically eligible for CLI, but I'm not biting yet.  Planning on asking after 3 months, like I said before.

Message 49 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

cheddar wrote:

Agreed, netpanther. I actually said I was going to try after 3 months, not every 30 days.

In any case, I'm past my first 30 days now, so I'm technically eligible for CLI, but I'm not biting yet.  Planning on asking after 3 months, like I said before.

Sound's like a great plan.
Message 50 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.