Reply
Established Member
JFritz001
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎09-04-2007

Re: Attempted Amex CL increase but found out they changed the rules....

Well, I got a letter in the mail today, and it does state that you cannot ask for a CLI more than once every 6 months. I have it in writing !
Frequent Contributor
Eric958
Posts: 371
Registered: ‎04-19-2007

Re: Attempted Amex CL increase but found out they changed the rules....

Had my card 3 mths, the csr told me today its 6mth. I should of tried @ activation.
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar
Posts: 6,794
Registered: ‎09-29-2007

Re: Attempted Amex CL increase but found out they changed the rules....

CSR explicitly told me on activation that I could request a CLI after 30 days.  She didn't say "every" 30 days, but "after" 30 days.
 
So before my first 30 days are even up they change the rules on me?  I was going the conservative route and planned to request a CLI after 3 months.
 
Guess that's not conservative enough for them.
 
Is this confirmed that the new 6 month rule applies to new accounts as well?  There was a previous post by TheCynicalOne which seemed to imply that the rule still may be 30 days for new accounts, but every 6 months after that.  I haven't seen it actually spelled out though.
----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Established Member
JFritz001
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎09-04-2007

Re: Attempted Amex CL increase but found out they changed the rules....

[ Edited ]
30 days after your account is activated...
but only once every 6 months.
sooo, once you open an account ... you can request a CLI after 30 days...
Then it will be 6 months from that increase request before you can ask again .

Or at least thats the way I understand it ....

Message Edited by JFritz001 on 12-10-2007 10:50 PM
Regular Contributor
kclb
Posts: 306
Registered: ‎11-07-2007

Re: Attempted Amex CL increase but found out they changed the rules....

Hm... I called them and was approved for $1k increase from my current $2k. I just had it for a little over 30 days. Won't ask for more until I reach my 6th month. They told me that they check annually so I hope I get a nice reward once I reach one year.

-
EX - 677 | EQ - 714 | TU - 724 as of December 4, 2013.
-
CC - Bank Of Hawaii - Hawaiian Airlines - $1500 / AMEX - Costco - $1200 (Nov '13) / Discover IT - $1200 / Aloha Pacific Credit Union - $3000 / AMEX - Blue - $6500 (authorized user) / Chase - CSP - $5000 (Dec '13)
-
Closed Accounts - AMEX Platinum.
Regular Contributor
kclb
Posts: 306
Registered: ‎11-07-2007

Re: Attempted Amex CL increase but found out they changed the rules....

Hm.

Does AMEX offer temporary CLI? I'm planning to take a trip next year and wondering if it's possible to ask for a temp increase then PIF right after?

I remember asking First Hawaiian Bank, a local bank here in Hawaii and they can do it. But I'd rather give some love to my Amex card...

haha.

-
EX - 677 | EQ - 714 | TU - 724 as of December 4, 2013.
-
CC - Bank Of Hawaii - Hawaiian Airlines - $1500 / AMEX - Costco - $1200 (Nov '13) / Discover IT - $1200 / Aloha Pacific Credit Union - $3000 / AMEX - Blue - $6500 (authorized user) / Chase - CSP - $5000 (Dec '13)
-
Closed Accounts - AMEX Platinum.
Regular Contributor
notmyname
Posts: 178
Registered: ‎08-21-2007

Re: Attempted Amex CL increase but found out they changed the rules....

That's what AmEx calls having a CHARGE card.
RP
Valued Contributor
netpanther
Posts: 1,694
Registered: ‎08-07-2007

Re: Attempted Amex CL increase but found out they changed the rules....



cheddar wrote:
CSR explicitly told me on activation that I could request a CLI after 30 days.  She didn't say "every" 30 days, but "after" 30 days.
 
So before my first 30 days are even up they change the rules on me?  I was going the conservative route and planned to request a CLI after 3 months.
 
Guess that's not conservative enough for them.
 
Is this confirmed that the new 6 month rule applies to new accounts as well?  There was a previous post by TheCynicalOne which seemed to imply that the rule still may be 30 days for new accounts, but every 6 months after that.  I haven't seen it actually spelled out though.


Cheddar, you may not wish to try every 30 days. That is not conservative enough for them. Every six mos is fine- give them time and they will be your favorite CC if you play the ball game correctly. Keep your overall credit picture good and they will treat you well.
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar
Posts: 6,794
Registered: ‎09-29-2007

Re: Attempted Amex CL increase but found out they changed the rules....



netpanther wrote:


cheddar wrote:
CSR explicitly told me on activation that I could request a CLI after 30 days.  She didn't say "every" 30 days, but "after" 30 days.
 
So before my first 30 days are even up they change the rules on me?  I was going the conservative route and planned to request a CLI after 3 months.
 
Guess that's not conservative enough for them.
 
Is this confirmed that the new 6 month rule applies to new accounts as well?  There was a previous post by TheCynicalOne which seemed to imply that the rule still may be 30 days for new accounts, but every 6 months after that.  I haven't seen it actually spelled out though.


Cheddar, you may not wish to try every 30 days. That is not conservative enough for them. Every six mos is fine- give them time and they will be your favorite CC if you play the ball game correctly. Keep your overall credit picture good and they will treat you well.


Agreed, netpanther. I actually said I was going to try after 3 months, not every 30 days.
 
In any case, I'm past my first 30 days now, so I'm technically eligible for CLI, but I'm not biting yet.  Planning on asking after 3 months, like I said before.

 
----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Valued Contributor
netpanther
Posts: 1,694
Registered: ‎08-07-2007

Re: Attempted Amex CL increase but found out they changed the rules....



cheddar wrote:

 
Agreed, netpanther. I actually said I was going to try after 3 months, not every 30 days.
 
In any case, I'm past my first 30 days now, so I'm technically eligible for CLI, but I'm not biting yet.  Planning on asking after 3 months, like I said before.

 


Sound's like a great plan.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+