Attention Discover It Cardholders

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Attention Discover It Cardholders

@nyancat wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm sorry. I'm referencing the "IT" card only.

I got my requested Discover Cashback Bonus card with EMV this week. Same exact identifiers as the active card, so both should work until the expiration date, from my understanding.

It isn't. The PAN sequence number, the service code, and the magnetic stripe verification value are all different, so they can easily kill the old magnetic stripe cards, and they promised me they would within 30 days. If they don't, it's a bit ridiculous (Citi, for example, doesn't... and that's not good).

It's clearly stated in the t/c that once you activate the new emv card. All other cards will become inactive 30 days from date of activation of the new card. So it's a non issue. Just have to wait for new designs to come out. I actually like the new blue. As you can now clearly read the writing on the back of card. 

Message 211 of 217
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I just received my chip card today and went online to activate it and it told me it was already activated. Is that normal? I usually have to activate a replacement card. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 212 of 217
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Today I did a small test run with the new Discover chip card at a merchant that had the Diners Club  logo displayed but the magnetic tripe card always came back with "unknow card" and to my surprise today the chip smoothly processed.  Smiley Happy

Message 213 of 217
nyancat
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

Today I did a small test run with the new Discover chip card at a merchant that had the Diners Club  logo displayed but the magnetic tripe card always came back with "unknow card" and to my surprise today the chip smoothly processed.  Smiley Happy

What merchant? What country?

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 214 of 217
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Coop supermarket in Switzerland

Message 215 of 217
nyancat
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Coop supermarket in Switzerland

Awesome to hear 1. it's a big chain likely responsible for a lot of their own POS 2. it's quick, given how new even chip Diner's Club is (unless Switzerland was one of the few countries that's had it awhile).

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 216 of 217
nyancat
Established Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm sorry. I'm referencing the "IT" card only.

I got my requested Discover Cashback Bonus card with EMV this week. Same exact identifiers as the active card, so both should work until the expiration date, from my understanding.

It isn't. The PAN sequence number, the service code, and the magnetic stripe verification value are all different, so they can easily kill the old magnetic stripe cards, and they promised me they would within 30 days. If they don't, it's a bit ridiculous (Citi, for example, doesn't... and that's not good).

It's clearly stated in the t/c that once you activate the new emv card. All other cards will become inactive 30 days from date of activation of the new card. So it's a non issue. Just have to wait for new designs to come out. I actually like the new blue. As you can now clearly read the writing on the back of card. 

Which is... exactly what I said?

Message 217 of 217
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.