Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attn: Amex Customers

tag
n777ua
Established Contributor

Attn: Amex Customers

...how often do you update your credit profile online? Our income has increased sig. over last year when we were FR'd, and I was thinking about going in and updating the income section.  Anyone else on here update this? 

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Attn: Amex Customers

I make it a point to understate my income on any credit app (just in case of the FR), and while income has been increasing, I've never updated it out of fear of drawing attention. I figured if they FR'd me again, then they'd see my 1040s again anyway.

Message 2 of 8
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Ha, I didn't even know there was a place on their site to update your annual income. 

Do you feel by doing so, it would change something or they'd give you a CLI or something else? 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your income has substantially changed, I'd update it.  The reason is that while there's a ton of factors that play into their approval of purchases, income is definitely one of them and if your income has doubled or tripled and your spending follows suit, then someone who's now spending $40K/year on a reported income of, say, $50K/year is probably more likely to suffer a FR than someone making $120K.  (Note: this is my own personal observation from reading various threads all over the internet about this subject, as it's really interesting to me and I've been doing a lot of research.)

While I understand the "keeping a low profile" tactic with AmEx, I don't think you're going to fly under the radar if your spending is substantially higher than it was several years ago without an increase in reported income.

Of course, if you're now making an additional $5k/year, it probably won't impact your spending too much and thus isn't of much concern to them.

Message 4 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

The income and empoyment etc. has not been updated since first account (optima plat.) opened in 2000.  Now 7 accounts (2 charge, 5 credit cards... 4 personal, 3 business)

maybe they save that info when you request CLI and enter income?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

The income and empoyment etc. has not been updated since first account (optima plat.) opened in 2000.  Now 7 accounts (2 charge, 5 credit cards... 4 personal, 3 business)

maybe they save that info when you request CLI and enter income?

When you applied for those other accounts, I'll bet AmEx updated your profile with whatever info you supplied on each application.

Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

that's probably what I'm thinking but still last account I think was 2006... so even so it's very out dated... but the online update is blocked for the accounts and when I had spoken to underwriting (Im account manager) updating income stuff is probably 1 of the only things I have been told I was not able to do... card member had to do it... he said he would send forms out but I have seen nothing from Amex since and hard spending limits have even been raised recently. so not going to worry aobut it

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

that's probably what I'm thinking but still last account I think was 2006... so even so it's very out dated... but the online update is blocked for the accounts and when I had spoken to underwriting (Im account manager) updating income stuff is probably 1 of the only things I have been told I was not able to do... card member had to do it... he said he would send forms out but I have seen nothing from Amex since and hard spending limits have even been raised recently. so not going to worry aobut it

You shouldn't.  In one of the stories I read, someone got FRed when their annual spending surpassed their stated income.  That's the sort of thing I think is an issue.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.