Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Au vs. opensky cc to boost score

tag
ZiggstergetsaREFI
Valued Member

Au vs. opensky cc to boost score

Hi, So I have no CC's right now. All the simulators say to get a CC to improve score. I don't want a hard pull. Trying to improve score in preparation to refi my mortgage. I researched (with the help of all of you here) getting secured opensky. Now I'm reading about becoming Authorized User. My husband open one CC last year. My questions are:

1. Will they do a Hard Inquiry for me to be AU?

2. Will it help my score to be AU?

Here are the details on his CC account:

Opened 4/17/2012

CL $1000

Balance: $0

We opened this for him to improve his score, so we have been diligent about keeping it paid off. We do use it to show activity.

He has other tradelines on his CR's that are adverse. - that won't affect my score, right?

My AAoA is 8 years.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: Au vs. opensky cc to boost score

1.NO

2.YES

Will do you no harm but pure goodness Smiley Happy

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 2 of 9
ZiggstergetsaREFI
Valued Member

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

1.NO

2.YES

Will do you no harm but pure goodness Smiley Happy

Thanks, "Bears"! So, even though his account is less than a year old, it should help?

Message 3 of 9
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

even tho its less than a year old its better than having to revolving credit reporting Smiley Happy

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 4 of 9
zerobacan
Established Contributor

However I ve learned here that underwriters will manually check your CR and AU are a not seen very good.

Why can you apply for a CC one little INQ will not hurt you more than having your own CC with a descent limit.

Amazon Credit card would give you a nice CL.

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 5 of 9
mmmlive1999
Frequent Contributor

Look up:Victorias Secret Approval!!! On this same board if you want a store card that is a soft pull only. It does not upgrade to a visa or anything, I just did it and got a $250 limit instantly,some people get $500. It is only used in the store but it's a start! After all they report to all 3 CRAs.Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 6/6/12: TU 585/EQ 472/ EX 561
Current Score: All 800's
Cap1 QS - $17k, Chase Southwest- $25k, Discover IT - $50k
Message 6 of 9
ZiggstergetsaREFI
Valued Member

@zerobacan wrote:

However I ve learned here that underwriters will manually check your CR and AU are a not seen very good.

Why can you apply for a CC one little INQ will not hurt you more than having your own CC with a descent limit.

Thanks for the input, zerobacan. I'm curious about what you wrote regarding underwriters considering AU's as not a good thing. I'd like to learn more about that. Could you point me in the direction of where you learned that? Thanks!

Message 7 of 9
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

I got an OpenSky secured CC to get my foot back in the door, but after a year they wouldn't convert to an unsecured card or increase the limit or anything. Considering there's also an annual fee and minimum interest charges (at least when I had it), I ditched it and moved on to much better cards. If you can't get anything else, it's all right for building some history. But overall, it's not a great card in my opinion. 

EX 695, EQ 703, TU 681 (1/17)
Message 8 of 9
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@ZiggstergetsaREFI wrote:

@zerobacan wrote:

Thanks for the input, zerobacan. I'm curious about what you wrote regarding underwriters considering AU's as not a good thing. I'd like to learn more about that. Could you point me in the direction of where you learned that? Thanks!

To put it another way, AUing your way to a good score may be a successful method against automated scoring routines;however, a refi will require manual scrutiny and the benefits of the AU will be seen through as they in no way reflect your personal achievement(s).  So, good for online approvals when no manual review is needed, not good when your score misleads you because a lender sees through the tricks.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.