cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August Credit AMA [ Ask Me Anything] live about Penfed CU with User@HarleyGirl1987

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: August Credit AMA [ Ask Me Anything] live about Penfed CU with User@HarleyGirl1987

They are obviously in some competition with Navy Fed. We've had several members report that UW mentioned NFCU on their reports and said "oh we can beat that" when requesting a recon of starting limit or cli. So it's definitely apparent the Loan Officers have "beating NFCU" in mind lol.

Message 41 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: August Credit AMA [ Ask Me Anything] live about Penfed CU with User@HarleyGirl1987

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:
Harleygirl Penfed was always a Holy Grail for me when I learned about them on MF in 2013 because they were so strict. So I felt like once I could be approved by the almighty Penfed, I officially made it! But,over the past year their UW really loosened up and they started approving those with baddies,lots of new accounts,like CRAZY. Hence the almost 300 pg Penfed Data Share thread. What do you feel caused this drastic change?

The new CEO is the reason for the change. The old CEO was very old school. He wouldn't even let an employee promote past a supervisor position unless they had a bachelor's degree. James is a forward thinker, he wants PenFed to grow and eventually take the lead over NavyFed. He's the one who started the risk based lending. A lot of baddies have gotten in, even under the old lending PenFed followed however with the new risk based lending it's out of control, which I feel is the reason why they are now requiring POI etc. However, not all of the time is that looked over as well as it should. Frequently I would see POI people would send in who were fraudsters that sent in 6 months of the same pay check, but just changed the pay period on the top and nothing else changed and they accepted it.

Forging documents nowadays is soooo easy...but, ONLY when it comes to DATES....as far as I know.

they never call your employer unless you're applying for a home loan product. I would assume it might catch ya if they wanted copies of your taxes, 

Now, this is an interesting post.  Since your time there, how often have they requested tax returns for credit cards like the way Amex requests them?

AMEX is it's own monster, I rarely saw any of those normally just the Penfed Defender, Rewards and Promise card. Generally if you're getting into the more "fancy" cards you pay your bills, so I rarely saw them.

Message 42 of 60
baller4life
Super Contributor

Speaking of POI. It was rarely requested of our members this past year. But, when it was and a member was self employed (1099,etc) Penfed gave them such a hard time. Is there a reason for that? Also, why do you think they do not allow household income on the application. But, if you call in and get the RIGHT loan officer they will add it to your profile.

Message 43 of 60
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:
Harleygirl Penfed was always a Holy Grail for me when I learned about them on MF in 2013 because they were so strict. So I felt like once I could be approved by the almighty Penfed, I officially made it! But,over the past year their UW really loosened up and they started approving those with baddies,lots of new accounts,like CRAZY. Hence the almost 300 pg Penfed Data Share thread. What do you feel caused this drastic change?

The new CEO is the reason for the change. The old CEO was very old school. He wouldn't even let an employee promote past a supervisor position unless they had a bachelor's degree. James is a forward thinker, he wants PenFed to grow and eventually take the lead over NavyFed. He's the one who started the risk based lending. A lot of baddies have gotten in, even under the old lending PenFed followed however with the new risk based lending it's out of control, which I feel is the reason why they are now requiring POI etc. However, not all of the time is that looked over as well as it should. Frequently I would see POI people would send in who were fraudsters that sent in 6 months of the same pay check, but just changed the pay period on the top and nothing else changed and they accepted it.

This reply makes so much sense and brings things into much sharper focus for me now than before.

I assumed as much that NFCU was by far and away the biggest competitor of PenFed and a kind of measuring stick for other Government CU's to take note of so i feel so much better that i signed on with NFCU after all.

Of course that's not to take anything away from PenFed but i had to pause with concern when 600 FICO scores were raking in some massive SL's while i was dished out a peanut in comparison with a lot stronger profile.

So PenFed is taking on greater risks now. Kind of helps explain things for me too.

Thank You so much for sharing. 

Message 44 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

HarleyGirl1987 

If you were talking to your friends and family... and they asked you what products would you strongly suggest from PenFed, what would you tell them?  Or if it was yourself?   

Also, do you know of any up and coming new products that they will be offering etc...? 

What are your thought on their Mortgages and Car Loans as well. 

Thank you in Advance. 

Message 45 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

This reply makes so much sense and brings things into much sharper focus for me now than before.

I assumed as much that NFCU was by far and away the biggest competitor of PenFed and a kind of measuring stick for other Government CU's to take note of so i feel so much better that i signed on with NFCU after all.

Of course that's not to take anything away from PenFed but i had to pause with concern when 600 FICO scores were raking in some massive SL's while i was dished out a peanut in comparison with a lot stronger profile.

So PenFed is taking on greater risks now. Kind of helps explain things for me too.

Thank You so much for sharing. 

I agree....

Message 46 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ooooh sorry I have 2 more questions.. forgive me.... 

Do they have a set amount that they silently approve you for but don't give it all at once .. expecting one to app for more? 

I know you may not know that answer .. but thought I would ask... 

Also, I am always curious if these banks know about myFICO ?  Do they monitor them in any way etc? 

Message 47 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

Speaking of POI. It was rarely requested of our members this past year. But, when it was and a member was self employed (1099,etc) Penfed gave them such a hard time. Is there a reason for that? Also, why do you think they do not allow household income on the application. But, if you call in and get the RIGHT loan officer they will add it to your profile.

@this is a very good question @Anonymous.  I am looking forward to what @Anonymous has to say.

Message 48 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ooooh sorry I have 2 more questions.. forgive me.... 

Do they have a set amount that they silently approve you for but don't give it all at once .. expecting one to app for more? 

I know you may not know that answer .. but thought I would ask... 

Also, I am always curious if these banks know about myFICO ?  Do they monitor them in any way etc? 

@Anonymous,

That is the purpose of the AMA so ask away.  Don't be sorrySmiley Happy.

Message 49 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cause I asked one 2 spots above.. I did not want to go too fast... 

I should of added it to the one I just posted above that ... 

I should of wrote down all my questions so I could be better prepared .. but Friday came to fast. 

I feel like Horshack in Mr. Kotter  

Oooo Ooo  HarleyGirl!!!   lol 

Message 50 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.