Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorization at gas pump

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorization at gas pump

Who sets the authorization limit when you pay-at-the-pump?  Is it set by the gas station or the Credit card?  Is the authorization the same for all credit cards?  VISA, MA, AMEX? or does the authorization vary?

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Authorization at gas pump

The gas station I use has a little sign that either v/mc (I forget) have a maximum limit of $75/fuel per transaction.  So, if you're filling up an rv..you get around it by stopping the pump & restarting, hence two actual transactions.  This is the policy of either v/mc.

My little vw beetle only takes 14.5 gallons.....guess I won't have to worry about THAT!

I do notice that when I use my debit as a credit, only $1 is authorized, then it catches up.  If I use debit, it's automatic the full amt.
Message 2 of 46
Marvintran
Regular Contributor

I think its by the company of that gas station's policy and
as for me they always asked for my zip code
whenever I used my Amex at Walmart and Shell here in CO.
BTW they also asked for Zip code for the Amex gift card also?
Message 3 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Who sets the authorization limit when you pay-at-the-pump? Is it set by the gas station or the Credit card? Is the authorization the same for all credit cards? VISA, MA, AMEX? or does the authorization vary?

I can't remember exactly, but one (Visa or MC) is $50 and the other $75. I don't know about AmEx or Discover. According to the little sign on the pumps, it's Visa and MC's policy, not theirs.
Message 4 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

tessarue wrote:

I can't remember exactly, but one (Visa or MC) is $50 and the other $75. I don't know about AmEx or Discover. According to the little sign on the pumps, it's Visa and MC's policy, not theirs.

Hmm...that's interesting.

Amex told me it's the gas station's policy.  Which makes sense, as they're the one who sends through the preauthorization.  They can put through a preauth for whatever amount they want.

The place I fill up always authorizes $100, regardless of which card I use.

Message 5 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marvintran wrote:
I think its by the company of that gas station's policy and
as for me they always asked for my zip code
whenever I used my Amex at Walmart and Shell here in CO.
BTW they also asked for Zip code for the Amex gift card also?

Credit card machines at gas stations ask for your zip code to compare it to your billing zip code for theft prevention.  I  haven't seen it happen, but theoretically if you live in Arizona, drive to Ohio, buy gas in Ohio but put in a zip code for Florida it should catch you.

Also, if your gas credit card or bank credit card is used for multiple purchases at gas stations in the same general geographic area, it might trigger a phone call to you from the bank's fraud dept.  Sometimes people who steal CCs use them to fill up their car and all their friends' cars, whereas you'd be hard pressed to fill up your car 5x a day in the same town.
Message 6 of 46
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I have been using Biz Gas Cards lately. I have no idea how they process these cards. I have never checked as exact amount shows on the credit card account.
Message 7 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here in VA it's up to the gas station. At the station near my house $50 is all that they will authorize on any card. But at the station by work I can use any of my cards (visa, mc, or amex) and fill my truck up with no problems.
Message 8 of 46
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I'd be surprised if it were the gas stations, because that would violate the visa/mc agreement.  You can't state a minimum charge either.  Anyone up on these policies?
Message 9 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fishbjc wrote:
I'd be surprised if it were the gas stations, because that would violate the visa/mc agreement. You can't state a minimum charge either. Anyone up on these policies?

If it's the CC and not the station, why can I go over $50 at some stations but not others?

Message Edited by kaeina on 02-20-2008 03:56 PM
Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.