Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized Card question

tag
zerbherb
Established Contributor

Authorized Card question

So i just got my first credit card, discover it chrome 500 cl, i also applied to cap one journey and was denied because of  insuffiecent income

Anyhow my mom maxed out a card i am on autherized on, and my credit score dropped 19 points, 744 to 726. How is that for a starting off credit score, it sucks it dropped when it isn't even my fault. Would it have been because my mom maxed out the card?

Also I am looking into a second card, leaning towards citi double cash or chase freedom your thougts?

thanks

;
Discover it 13300 cl nov 2014/ Everyday 26700 k march 2015/CSP 7.5k Feb 2016/ Freedom Unlimited 7k july 207
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
kade6767
Contributor

Re: Authorized Card question

I hope someone else answers you because I'd like to know the same. I have heard that even if you're the AU and the main cardholder maxes out it can affect your score like it was your card and other people have told me the opposite since it isn't a debt you are responsible for. Many factors could affect your score, depending on what is being reported to your CR. Inquiries, many of them could affect your score, but that plays a small part in your score. Have you recently checked your CR?

Walmart Store Card $5,000 Bank of America Cash Rewards $4,500 Chase Amazon Visa $3,000 Capital One QS1 $1,250 Macy's $1,600
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read somewher in the forum that if you are an AU, you are also responsible for that card and that's why it affected your score too. I think if you establish your credit report long enough, I would take myself off that  AU (of course, that's only my opinion). My mom is an AU in my Miles by Discover, but I always told her to only spend $100 on it so that way I can keep my utilization to minimum.

Message 3 of 22
kade6767
Contributor

I know from being an AU on my mom's Discover that the AU is not responsible for the charges. That's even clearly stated in the terms with Discover. Same thing with Citibank.
Walmart Store Card $5,000 Bank of America Cash Rewards $4,500 Chase Amazon Visa $3,000 Capital One QS1 $1,250 Macy's $1,600
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I guess depending on what bank you are an AU then. Even still, your score will still be affected by how that person uses the card. Especially if she maxed it out.

@kade6767 wrote:
I know from being an AU on my mom's Discover that the AU is not responsible for the charges. That's even clearly stated in the terms with Discover. Same thing with Citibank.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

you might not be responsible for the charges but youre responsible for your credit.  If you are an AU your credit is at risk just as much as the card owner.  

Message 6 of 22
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@zerbherb wrote:

So i just got my first credit card, discover it chrome 500 cl, i also applied to cap one journey and was denied because of  insuffiecent income

Anyhow my mom maxed out a card i am on autherized on, and my credit score dropped 19 points, 744 to 726. How is that for a starting off credit score, it sucks it dropped when it isn't even my fault. Would it have been because my mom maxed out the card?

Also I am looking into a second card, leaning towards citi double cash or chase freedom your thougts?

thanks

I would do nothing until that AU card is paid off and is reporting a 0 balance, if its not going to be anytime soon then I suggest you terminate the AU and have it removed from your report, you only really want good long open cards with little utilization reporting as AU accounts.

@Anonymous wrote:

you might not be responsible for the charges but youre responsible for your credit.  If you are an AU your credit is at risk just as much as the card owner.  

An AU is never at risk, they can demand an AU account be completely removed from the CR if it goes south, the only debate to be had with AU responsibility is with AMEX who tries to make them responsible and that is highly questionable.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the approval.

Message 8 of 22
zerbherb
Established Contributor

So everyones opinion is drop the  card. Even though it is my longest line of credit which is 3 years. 

;
Discover it 13300 cl nov 2014/ Everyday 26700 k march 2015/CSP 7.5k Feb 2016/ Freedom Unlimited 7k july 207
Message 9 of 22
zerbherb
Established Contributor

Also how much do you guys trust credit karma. They recommend i apply for the card i wanted anyhow with a good chance of acceptence,

;
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.