Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User/Dumping Capital One Accounts

tag
ahh10000
Valued Member

Authorized User/Dumping Capital One Accounts

I wanted to get everyones opinion on how closing good accounts works.  I currently have three capital one accounts (two quicksilver mastercard and one just plain mastercard), Discover IT, Chase Sapphire Preferred and Victorias Secret.  My Cap1 accounts have been my longest as they are not the greatest lender and was all I could get.  I'm thinking about applying for an American Express and Chase Freedom and if approved, I want to get rid of my Cap Ones.

My question is how badly should this affect my credit score considering if I get rid of Cap1 my AAoA will be essentially two years (I don't now if other closed accounts in good standing still count).  My other question is this:  My parents have had Amex for a very long time.  If they were to add me as an authorized user, and I then signed up for Amex, wouldn't that raise my AAoA a huge amount because it backdates the account?  What would happen to that AAoA if I were to take myself off as an authorized user once I had my own card with Amex?  I don't want my CS to take a huge hit from closing the accounts but considering I want to buy a house in a few years I wonder if now is the time to do it.

Thanks for the help, I'm sorry if this is so confusing!  I am just tired of crummy CC companies and I want to phase them out for the top of the line cards.  I hope everyone has a great holiday!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized User/Dumping Capital One Accounts

Your AAoA won't change if you close them. Not now anyway. The Cap one's, I mean.

Message 2 of 8
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your AAoA won't change if you close them. Not now anyway

Closed accounts remain on your report for approx. 10 more years.  I would keep 1 QS account and if you have an AF version try to get the AF waived permanently.  Cap1 is really not a bad card but I also do not see why keep 2 of the same cards.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex would only backdate to the year YOU became AU . So if you ask your parents to put you as an AU now and apply for an AMex in Jan 2015 , you would get a 1 year old account . The Cap 1 cards would stay on your report 10 years after you close them . 

Message 4 of 8
ahh10000
Valued Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, it all makes sense.  I'm extremely frustrated with Cap1 as I called them last night to try and get all the cards changed to at least the Quicksilver Signature Visa and it was a no-go so it made the thought process of dumping them even more enticing.  I'll definitely do what you all suggest, thanks for the help!!

Message 5 of 8
ahh10000
Valued Member

One other question:  Would those closed accounts be looked at negatively on my CR especially when I go to buy a house?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a good thread to read about closing credit cards

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/m-p/347190?jump=true

Message 7 of 8
ahh10000
Valued Member

Thanks for the info Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.