Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User..Not Clear

tag
BKFireFly
Regular Contributor

Authorized User..Not Clear

Hi everyone, I am fairly new to the forum like most I do a lot of lurking to get info. I will attest that I have learned so much from the here that I have applied to my own life & credit journey with both positive & negative results.

I recently helped my sister get her credit profile started.

Cap One $ 500

Exxon gas $ 500

Walmart $ 300 (Fico Mainly)

Discover IT $ 5K (Big shocker there)

JC Penny $ 100

While I tried to get her to cool it she went on an app spree & I let her enjoy because she is bouncing back from someone basically taking over her credit identity and destroying it.  (I digress)

A month ago I applied for the Discover It student DENIED Cat Sad for collections. PFD the agency.No response but account deleted from my report. Re-apped APPROVED! ($ 500-avg of most my accounts)!!! Cat Very Happy But Now my foots in the door.

Anyway, Should I ask my sister to add me as an authorized user on her account? Will Discover report to my CR & how badly will this new account hurt me.  Using this site I have opened over 10 new trade lines this past year or so & new student loans keep hitting my CR (grad student).  I know that 5K will really help my util currently like 46% & about to go up (just returning from family vacation) & it would be my first major cc with a trade line over 1K-2K. Which seems to keep coming up as a negative factor.

P.S. Also an AU on my moms Old navy visa & it has never reported to my CR?

I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks much.

***Nothing Beats a try but a Fail*** I refuse to fail, success is the only option.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Authorized User..Not Clear

Discover does report AUs- it's up to the CRAs if your information will be linked. If the last names and addresses are different chances are they won't link.

With that many new TLs, your AAOA must be extremely low. What cc's do you have on your report?
Message 2 of 6
BKFireFly
Regular Contributor

Curently my AAoA is approx. 3 yrs with all new trade lines. Oldest account opened in 2002.

***Nothing Beats a try but a Fail*** I refuse to fail, success is the only option.
Message 3 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

3years...with 10 new accts open and your oldest account is 11 years old. Ok. And your util is high after opening 10 TLs?
Message 4 of 6
halos24
Frequent Contributor

My father two years ago added me as an AU to his Discover different last name & address and they found me and reported to all three reports. It helped me at the time, but reverently have them remove me do to util on the card making my cr worst.
MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 5 of 6
BKFireFly
Regular Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
3years...with 10 new accts open and your oldest account is 11 years old. Ok. And your util is high after opening 10 TLs?

Lexie:

My oldest trade line is a student loan. The 10 TL I have opened in the past year or so all have small limits & some are student loans, Auto Loan, personal loan, & retail & major cards. Based on the info I getting myfico & credit karma, I need to get atleast 1 card over 2K & get my util down. I am going to ask my sister to add me to her discver card (5K) so It can report to my CR. Its new & will likely kill my AAOA but its worth it to get my util down & limits up. Then I garden. Hopefully this works.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.