Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User PROS AND CONS

tag
mjnierva23
New Contributor

Authorized User PROS AND CONS

How does being an authorized user affect your CR? What are some of the The pros and cons.
I'm considering having my dad put me on as an authorized user on one of his credit cards that he doesn't really use a lot. Will this raise my AAoA? If it does how does it get factored in? Since im only 20 I have a very thin file and short AAoA these 2 are the only things hurting my score according to myfico scorewatch (758 score). Since my dead really uses this card I'm not worried about util.

Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

Re: Authorized User PROS AND CONS

I was recently denied for a student loan because of my length of credit history Smiley Sad. If the card carries a low balance, has a good sized credit limit, and has been open for a decent amount of time than your credit score and appearance to lenders and creditors should benefit accross the board.

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 2 of 11
mjnierva23
New Contributor

I am shocked you were denied. thats a first for me never heard that before usually the denial is because of a very short length.

Message 3 of 11
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

I think u mis-understood me... I said i was denied because of the length of my credit history.. but failed to mention that length is short... I'm looking for someone to piggyback off of now with a longer history to make me look better to Sallie Mae. Seems more reasonable than asking someone to co-sign

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 4 of 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I think au and fico scoring can be an bit funky. From my personal experience depending on the fico version they are using it can help an bit , but other times it doesn't really do anything. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 11
mjnierva23
New Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I think au and fico scoring can be an bit funky. From my personal experience depending on the fico version they are using it can help an bit , but other times it doesn't really do anything. 

Are you talking about a lender looking at my report ?

Message 6 of 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@mjnierva23 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Are you talking about a lender looking at my report ?

well i was referring to credit cards and fico scores in general. My tu score from my fico is over 100 points higher than my walmart fico TU score. They use different versions of fico scores. I think the TU 08 score that walmart uses doesn't take weigh AU accounts as much.

Message 7 of 11
mjnierva23
New Contributor

To be honest im not really worried about my score as long as it doesnt hurt it, if it doesnt factor in i dont really care. I just feel itll be better in Lenders eyes if my AAoA is higher and itll also put another account in good standing on my file as well. But i could be wrong i really dont anything about how lenders take into consideration AU accounts. Thats why i came here lol

Message 8 of 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@mjnierva23 wrote:

To be honest im not really worried about my score as long as it doesnt hurt it, if it doesnt factor in i dont really care. I just feel itll be better in Lenders eyes if my AAoA is higher and itll also put another account in good standing on my file as well. But i could be wrong i really dont anything about how lenders take into consideration AU accounts. Thats why i came here lol

I am not so sure about loans, better wait for somebody who is more well versed on the intricacies of fico scoring to chime in.

Message 9 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Certain lenders do not take AU accounts into consideration. If your goal is to obtain a longer AAOA, pick one card with the longest history, lowest bal and highest CL. The pro would be a boost to you if your other profile is good. You can calculate the AAOA but keep in mind, AAOA is roughly 10% of your score. The lower util will be where you would see a larger boost.

The con would be if the cc has negative history, high util etc.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.