Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User Question/ Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized User Question/ Approval

I haven't seen the answer to this so maybe my fico family can help;

I had my husband as an Authorized User on my Home Depot Card.

Just for the last month.

Today he was buying a tool at Home Depot and to save $25.00 off

his purchase the guy at the register asked him if he wanted to apply

for the HD card.

He said ok why not and applied.

He got approved.

Question: DO I take him off as AU on my Home Depot account?

If I do does this hurt his scores?

Does it hurt anyone's scores if the AU is removed?

Thanks for any help or suggestions. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized User Question/ Approval

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't seen the answer to this so maybe my fico family can help;

I had my husband as an Authorized User on my Home Depot Card.

Just for the last month.

Today he was buying a tool at Home Depot and to save $25.00 off

his purchase the guy at the register asked him if he wanted to apply

for the HD card.

He said ok why not and applied.

He got approved.

Question: DO I take him off as AU on my Home Depot account?

If I do does this hurt his scores?

Does it hurt anyone's scores if the AU is removed?

Thanks for any help or suggestions. Smiley Happy

1) 'DO' you take him off?

There is no "reason" to 'have to' take him off, especially if it is helping his profile, such that he is getting approvals...

such as the one he just got. (Just remember the payment history and the DEBT/ratio on your card DOES effect 'his' profile.....

so as long as your card is clean and a 'help' to him...no reason to remove him ..he doesn't need a physical card for his use...it's about the manipulation on the numbers anyway)

*If dropping the card dramatically changes his overall profile...of it could change his score...ie say your card is how his has a certain amount of history and

a certain of CL vs debt/ratio ABSOLUTELY could tank how he looks how paper, especially as seeing this one 'young' card he just got maybe his only postive account.

Btw if and when you pull him off the account ...remember it is an internal thing with the vendor he will have to DISPUTE it off his credit profile...as a 'not mine' dispute to actually get it 'off' his credit FYI

But how much it may 'hurt' him depends on what his profile consist of otherwise....if the point was to help him build, then keep him on 1 HD card ain't gonna be enough to turn the corner....remember his credit doesn't 'hurt' yours so you don't have any jeopardy in keeping him on.....he's just hitching a ride (as long as he has no actual card to your account) for the cameras...let him ride and build enough of a profile till his file can stand on it's own....then he can dispute the file as 'not his' and the CB will drop the AU account from his reports...

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.