Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User Question

tag
trisme11
Established Member

Authorized User Question

Hello All,

I've been on my mom's card as an authorized user for a while. I've been trying to get a new credit card and I'm tired of waiting for her balance to go down so that I'll have a low enough utilization. She's the only one carrying a balance at this point.

She opened the card about 8 months before I got my first card. So my question is if I removed myself from her card as an authorized user, how much of a drop do you think an 8 months difference would make.

AAoA- 1 yr 11 mths

Oldest Account- 3 yrs

Her card was opened 11/24/2008

Mine was opened 7/17/2009, I also have a Macy's card

Thanks Smiley Happy (Admins sorry if this is in the wrong section)

Fico Scores: Eqifax- 745 Transunion-744 Experian-? --- as of 1/14. I'm sure it's about to drop like a ton of rocks, along with my AAoA
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Authorized User Question

@trisme11 wrote:

She opened the card about 8 months before I got my first card. 

So the AU card is your oldest account, right? If that drops, the hit will be pretty substaintial IMO. I only had 1 credit card for over 2 years, when I opened my 2nd, my score drops about 20 points. Though not exactly as your situation, but the major loss in AAoA is my point

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
dalebb
Valued Contributor

what kind of card is it?

Message 3 of 9
trisme11
Established Member

It's a Well's Fargo credit card $4000 limit.

Mine is also a Well's Fargo card $1500

Fico Scores: Eqifax- 745 Transunion-744 Experian-? --- as of 1/14. I'm sure it's about to drop like a ton of rocks, along with my AAoA
Message 4 of 9
dalebb
Valued Contributor

what r ur balances and credit scores?

Message 5 of 9
trisme11
Established Member

My balances are at 0.

The last her's was reporting was about 1300. She's paid it down though, but it's still reporting that 1300.

The last I checked my score TU it was 755. I didn't check Eq and I haven't check recently cause it is still reporting the same thing, there has been no change.

Message 6 of 9
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@trisme11 wrote:

Hello All,

I've been on my mom's card as an authorized user for a while. I've been trying to get a new credit card and I'm tired of waiting for her balance to go down so that I'll have a low enough utilization. She's the only one carrying a balance at this point.

She opened the card about 8 months before I got my first card. So my question is if I removed myself from her card as an authorized user, how much of a drop do you think an 8 months difference would make.

AAoA- 1 yr 11 mths

Oldest Account- 3 yrs

Her card was opened 11/24/2008

Mine was opened 7/17/2009, I also have a Macy's card

Thanks Smiley Happy (Admins sorry if this is in the wrong section)

what have u applied for? give us the whole story

Message 7 of 9
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Give us an idea of your credit score. I would say if you're in the mid 600s, apply for Barclay apple visa. You might need to recon for approval but that will give you an opportunity to explain the AU card. I had to do the same with DHs card since I'm AU. Just explained that DH added me as AU so I can actually call in to make payments if needed Smiley Happy. They were satisfied with that response Smiley Happy
Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 8 of 9
trisme11
Established Member

I haven't applied for anything yet. I was waiting for her balance to go down (a lower utilization percentage) so that I would be able to get a better APR.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.