Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized User Question

I recently opened an American Express Blue Cash Preferred card. It has a $14,000 limit. I added my fiancee as an authorized user in hopes of back dating in the future for her; however, I was just informed that AMEX no longer backdates AUs. Her average age of accounts was decent before, about a year and a few months. This new card was opened 2 months ago, will that negatively impact her average age of accounts?

Also, I'm planning on adding her as an AU to my Discover card because it's been open for around 3 years. 

Should I remove her as an AU since if it affects her AAoAs negatively? Or should I leave it since it's a $14, 000 CLI which is by far her highest limit?

Thank you in advance for your help Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Authorized User Question

It will bring down her AAoA some more, but whenever she does get an Amex (If she doesn't already have one now) then that CC will be backdated to this year-- the year she was added as an AU. (At least, it's been automatically applied, previously.)

As far as her score goes, that really is dependent on more variables. It's possible that it might help her with the extra credit limit being available. If she already controls her utilization, then the variables go down with regard to predicting a score change.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenny wrote:

It will bring down her AAoA some more, but whenever she does get an Amex (If she doesn't already have one now) then that CC will be backdated to this year-- the year she was added as an AU. (At least, it's been automatically applied, previously.)

As far as her score goes, that really is dependent on more variables. It's possible that it might help her with the extra credit limit being available. If she already controls her utilization, then the variables go down with regard to predicting a score change.

I have heard (not verified myself) by other posters here that Amex no longer uses the AU MSD. They will only backdate the MSD if you open the card in your name. There was some talk about this on the forums a couple months ago, and I think the original poster has heard the same too based on his post.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

I have heard (not verified myself) by other posters here that Amex no longer uses the AU MSD. They will only backdate the MSD if you open the card in your name. There was some talk about this on the forums a couple months ago, and I think the original poster has heard the same too based on his post.

I contacted AMEX customer service, and it was verified they no longer back date AUs. 

It sucks and I really wish I would have known before I added her, but that's okay.

I had her apply for the Chase Freedom card a few minutes ago and she was approved for $4,500. So that's good. Now she will go to the garden and hopefully reap the benefits!

BTW, I was advised by a Discover CSR that they do not report on AUs. So, according to him, it would not help her credit score at all. Which is odd to me.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing happened to me. I added my g/f hoping they would backdate her to my MSD of 1989.  Nope they gave her 2014

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Same thing happened to me. I added my g/f hoping they would backdate her to my MSD of 1989.  Nope they gave her 2014

Thankfully, one of the members in the December Gardening thread informed me of  this. If it weren't for him, I would have been irate two years from now when I tried to get her card back dated.  

At least she has 3 cards now. So she will be good to go in a few years when we buy a house Smiley Happy 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenny wrote:

Thank you. Unfortunately, she's not as credit conscience as I am and does not really care about her utilization rate even though I've explained it a million times. She does, however, still have excellent credit somehow. Her Discover FICO is between 730-740 if I remember correctly.

Message 7 of 8
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

Well, I am a AU on my wife's BCP since 2011. Just this week I was approved for my BCE and they back dated to 2011. At least that is the date on my online account. I just hope it reflex 2011 on my credit reports.

I have read reports if you have been an AU prior to 11/2011 they will backdate, post 11/2011 not.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.