Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User and Credit History

tag
jm6886
New Visitor

Authorized User and Credit History

Hello:

Please forgive me if this is an elementary question, but I am trying to understand credit (as this is my first post). I am trying to help my 18 year old brother build his credit score. Recently, my mother was approved for an American Express Blue Sky card (with a 25,000 dollar credit limit) and added my brother as an Authorized User. When she put my brother down, American Express took his social security number, etc. My question is, will this card show up on his credit report? Or should he get his own card to build a history with? Please advise- thanks for your time!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

Re: Authorized User and Credit History

It will report to his credit report on his credit report and yes he will get his own card but at your mother discretion if he gets to use it.
CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 2 of 5
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Make sure to create an online ID with Amex for your brother so to guarantee that his member date gets locked in.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 5
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

It will also report as Authorizedd User,

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 4 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum! Please feel free to ask questions. Your DM can set spending limit on the cc if she chooses. Like the others have mentioned, this is an excellent way to establish his cr.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.