Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User and card advice?

tag
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Authorized User and card advice?

Short history: I started my revolving credit search in January and so far only have 2 cards. (Discover More 500 CL and Capital One Journey 300 CL) I have only 5-6 months of history from a student loan. None of the 2 accounts I have are even reporting so I assume it would be best for acount age, etc to get 1 more before I garden. I do my banking though Chase (5+ years) and been told that they would probably be more lenient if I have an account with them. BUT after seeing these forums most people say they have to have atleast 1-2 years of history. Should I try for it and recon or is it best not to waste the inq?  I know Barclays is Inq sensitive but I fear being declined over no credit/limited history. I know they have a good recon department but would they approve me for it without a history? Income is about 19,100, checking+savings account, and some websites ask for majors etc so if thats relavaent its Criminal Justice with concentration on Pre-Law) What other banks would I have a chance with ie. US Bank,etc. Is it true that if I were added as an AU on an account that I gain the age? My mom has a Freedom and Barclays card and I can be added. If I were added and it reports would that enable me to get a Freedom easier/faster for myself? As I said in a previous post my main goal is to get the cards I want to have now and let them grow for quite some time. I have thought about a ZYNC but I would prefer to wait a few years for an AMEX revolver.  My ideal portfolio would be:  

Actively used cards: 

1. Discover More (Have 500 CL) 

2. Chase Freedom (Want) 

3. Citi Forward (Want) 

Sockdraw: 

1. Capital One (Have) (I would use every few months just to keep friendship with Capital One so in a few years I get the Cash Rewards card and age purposes) 

2. Apple Barclay's (Want)- (I would like a custom config 2012 Air when they are released) if it weren't for this reason I would get the Best Buy card. 

Sorry for the long question but I'm pretty new to the forums and know many of you have years of experience. If you really don't want to read the entire section my main questions are: 

1. Does Barclays Apple Financing ever approve students with limited/no credit? 

2. Does Chase Freedom require 1-2 years of histoy or would they be reasonable with a recon approval for someone that has banking history with them? 

3. Does being added as an AU give me the age and make it easier/faster to be approved for cards? If yes I would wait till after I'm added and reported to apply for any of them. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized User and card advice?

@CC365 wrote:

Short history: I started my revolving credit search in January and so far only have 2 cards. (Discover More 500 CL and Capital One Journey 300 CL) I have only 5-6 months of history from a student loan. None of the 2 accounts I have are even reporting so I assume it would be best for acount age, etc to get 1 more before I garden. I do my banking though Chase (5+ years) and been told that they would probably be more lenient if I have an account with them. BUT after seeing these forums most people say they have to have atleast 1-2 years of history. Should I try for it and recon or is it best not to waste the inq?  I know Barclays is Inq sensitive but I fear being declined over no credit/limited history. I know they have a good recon department but would they approve me for it without a history? Income is about 19,100, checking+savings account, and some websites ask for majors etc so if thats relavaent its Criminal Justice with concentration on Pre-Law) What other banks would I have a chance with ie. US Bank,etc. Is it true that if I were added as an AU on an account that I gain the age? My mom has a Freedom and Barclays card and I can be added. If I were added and it reports would that enable me to get a Freedom easier/faster for myself? As I said in a previous post my main goal is to get the cards I want to have now and let them grow for quite some time. I have thought about a ZYNC but I would prefer to wait a few years for an AMEX revolver.  My ideal portfolio would be:  

Actively used cards: 

1. Discover More (Have 500 CL) 

2. Chase Freedom (Want) 

3. Citi Forward (Want) 

Sockdraw: 

1. Capital One (Have) (I would use every few months just to keep friendship with Capital One so in a few years I get the Cash Rewards card and age purposes) 

2. Apple Barclay's (Want)- (I would like a custom config 2012 Air when they are released) if it weren't for this reason I would get the Best Buy card. 

Sorry for the long question but I'm pretty new to the forums and know many of you have years of experience. If you really don't want to read the entire section my main questions are: 

1. Does Barclays Apple Financing ever approve students with limited/no credit? 

2. Does Chase Freedom require 1-2 years of histoy or would they be reasonable with a recon approval for someone that has banking history with them? 

3. Does being added as an AU give me the age and make it easier/faster to be approved for cards? If yes I would wait till after I'm added and reported to apply for any of them. 

1. Yes they do.

2. Usually 1 year will do it for them. Recons are reported to be highly successful with many.

3. Sometimes. Some banks report others do not. Im not sure if Chase reports but when adding an AU I was never asked for a ssn of that AU so I doubt it.

Message 2 of 4
anybodii
New Contributor

I was approved for Freedom with 6 months of history. Some banks report AU, others just give you another card with a different name. I've heard the ones that do report also backdate the age.

Message 3 of 4
bearsfan34
Regular Contributor

Yeah I am an AU on my dads AMEX and it backdates all the way to 1983. 

Starting Score: EX 631 EQ 629 TU 646 1/18
Current Score: __
Goal Score: 710

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.