Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User on CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized User on CC

If i put my 18 y.o brother as a AU on my CC will that show up on his Report? will this help my brother's credit? and does he hgave to use the card? or can i just put him as a AU and that's it?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Authorized User on CC

@Anonymous wrote:

If i put my 18 y.o brother as a AU on my CC will that show up on his Report? will this help my brother's credit? and does he hgave to use the card? or can i just put him as a AU and that's it?

Yes it can help him IF the account is older than any of his, IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. He will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south both your credit and his will be affected. Keep that in mind.

He doesn't have to use the card at all to get the benefits.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Very much very helpful insight. I just want to put him as an AU but keep his card with me because his 18 and idk lol Dont want him to spend anything at all! One last question is it ok to Max out my CC to get points but pay it off everymonth in full? or does that hurt my score?

Message 3 of 5
cdtotten
Established Contributor

What gets reported to the CRAs is your statement balance with almost no exceptions. So if you are getting your statements with $999 due on a $1k limit card, yes your score would take a serious hit because it looks like you have 99% utilization. Although you pay it off in full, CRAs dont know that... they only know what is reporting.

What you can do though is pay off your account before the statement cuts. So if you know your statement closes on the 15th of the month, send them a payment on the 10th for all your activity for the month. The statement will show a $0 balance and that is what the CRAs will see.

As a side note, I wouldn't continually max out your card, even if you pay it off right after. Could look risky to the CCC and initiate FR or adverse action.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long after I open my account do FR stop? or can they do a FR like 2 years in? how does it workl  ?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.