cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User on a Charged Off Account?

tag
Diana56
New Contributor

Authorized User on a Charged Off Account?

My question ...

If I was an authorized user on my ex-husband's account, of a CC that was charged off for missed payments, should that stay on my report for the same 7 years as his?  

Thankfully,  I've cleaned my personal credit up ... but that one BAD account is still on for another 1 or 2 years, can't remember which.  I would love to have it taken off early.

Capital One: $10,000 - BOA: $1,500 - PayPal: $2,000 - Amazon: $900

Experian: 698 - Equifax: 700 today! YAY!! - TransUnion: 706
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Authorized User on a Charged Off Account?

@Diana56 wrote:

My question ...

If I was an authorized user on my ex-husband's account, of a CC that was charged off for missed payments, should that stay on my report for the same 7 years as his?  

Thankfully,  I've cleaned my personal credit up ... but that one BAD account is still on for another 1 or 2 years, can't remember which.  I would love to have it taken off early.

No, call the CRAs that it is on and request it be deleted, you have no resposnsibility for the account. If the CRAs refuse to delete file a CFPB complaint.

Message 2 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@gdale6 wrote:

@Diana56 wrote:

My question ...

No, call the CRAs that it is on and request it be deleted, you have no resposnsibility for the account. If the CRAs refuse to delete file a CFPB complaint.

@gdale6 wrote:

@Diana56 wrote:

My question ...

Be aware, that you will also loose the entire TL perhaps decreasing your AAOA.  If you are down to a 1 year, it might do more harm than good.  

Message 3 of 18
sadiespapa
New Contributor

Not to hijack a thread, but along the same lines, I used to be listed as an AU on a BofA account that went past due. As soon as I learned of it's status, I called BofA and had myself removed as an authorized user. I thought the account would dissapear from my CR, but instead the account owner was changed to "Terminated." (I believe this is where it used to say that I was an Authorized user. )

Can I dispute this account and have it removed? My concern is that instead equifax will just update it with the same information but making it more current, which would be more harmful to my score. The late pay activity was about a year ago, and the TL hasnt updated since August so should I instead just let it be?

JUL 2015 FICO: EX 705 | EQ 694 | TU 692
APR 2014 FICO: EX 651 | EQ 635 | TU 671
DEC 2013 FICO: EX 628 | EQ 559 | TU 655
Message 4 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@sadiespapa wrote:

Not to hijack a thread, but along the same lines, I used to be listed as an AU on a BofA account that went past due. As soon as I learned of it's status, I called BofA and had myself removed as an authorized user. I thought the account would dissapear from my CR, but instead the account owner was changed to "Terminated." (I believe this is where it used to say that I was an Authorized user. )

Can I dispute this account and have it removed? My concern is that instead equifax will just update it with the same information but making it more current, which would be more harmful to my score. The late pay activity was about a year ago, and the TL hasnt updated since August so should I instead just let it be?

Yes, you can ask them to delete the entire tl as not yours.  Like I said earlier, you will lose the entire history good/bad

Message 5 of 18
Diana56
New Contributor

Thank you guys ..... I called TransUnion to dispute and ask them to remove it ... I had to go to Equifax's website to dispute and ask to remove, since they're phone system was messing up.  So we'll see!!

Here's hoping they both remove it!

Message 6 of 18
Diana56
New Contributor

Oh and ... I don't care if I lose it, it wasn't worth holding onto.

Message 7 of 18
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@Diana56 wrote:

My question ...

@gdale6 wrote:

@Diana56 wrote:

My question ...

Be aware, that you will also loose the entire TL perhaps decreasing your AAOA.  If you are down to a 1 year, it might do more harm than good.  

Excellent point.   Some people simply prefer a clean report, but it might not benefit in some situations.

For example, I have a 120 day late on a SL that is only on EX.  However, the SL is one of my oldest accounts (9/1997), so my EX FICO is actually very close to my EQ FICO score. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 18
Diana56
New Contributor

Hmmmm???  My Fico alerted me today, that my score shot up from 700 to 720!  I wonder if they removed the account THAT fast???

The only other 2 things I've done in the last few days are:  had my CU pull my credit to be approved for a car loan, and did a balance transfer from Cap 1.

I doubt those two actions would cause it to go UP .... but that seems awfully fast to have taken the bad account off!  What do you guys think?

Message 9 of 18
sadiespapa
New Contributor

Disputed accounts are not considered in scoring. So if you just disputed that account recently, your score was likely reformulated to ignore that account's existence. 

JUL 2015 FICO: EX 705 | EQ 694 | TU 692
APR 2014 FICO: EX 651 | EQ 635 | TU 671
DEC 2013 FICO: EX 628 | EQ 559 | TU 655
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.