Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized User question

@CreditSeductress wrote:

The only way, in my opinion, to ever add someone as an authorized user is to add him/her/them, and not give him/her/them a card, unless you are comfortable paying for their debt. Don't give them ANY access to your accounts under any other circumstances, especially if they have a pattern of not paying their own bills. 

It is strickly to be used to help boost or help someone get a head start on their credit history. I have 2 different situations set up. One where there is absolutely no Access (My Brother), and another where there is minimal access, on my terms (My 2 Sons).

3 examples:

My 2 Sons are both Authorized Users on 3 of my credit cards. I have no issue with this, as my youngest son never uses the card if I'm not in his presence. I carry the card in my purse at all times, and to let him be, "A Man", I'll let him pay for things with his card sometimes. Again, only in my presence, because I pay the bill, and I would've paid for it anyway, so no biggie.

My older Son who is in college does have use of one of his Authorized User cards. That's only because I'm prepared to pay the bill monthly. I gave him an American Express Authorized User card that I was able to lower the actual limit of $10,000.00 to $200.00 on his card. Now, if he spends $200.00 a month on that card, I can pay it. Thank God he doesn't use it often, but if he needs essentials from Wal-Mart while at school, he can get it. Again, no biggie.

Now, My Brother on the other hand, will Never Ever even lay his eyes on the credit card he's an Authorized User on. Did I say Never Ever...OK, just checking.

He's very irresponsible, and I Love him enough for us not to get into it over something I Know would happen in the future. He'd stick me, and he'd stick me good (with unnecessary debt), and act as if I did something wrong to him. So, I'll help you establish credit Buddy, but I won't help you destroy mine.

I agree there is always that one family member you want to help out ... but you can only go so far... 

I get the doing it for the youngins... in my case my nephews and nieces are like sons and daughters .. I have none of my own. 

My sister's son has no credit and just starting out.  She does not have the best of credit, she is working on it (plus she is a single Mom)  I added my nephew as an AU.  I activated the card and sock drawyered it, he has no clue what-so-ever about the card.  Me and my sister agreed he should not know he is an AU user on a card yet.  In 6 months to a year we will tell him so he can apply for a credit card of his own.  He is in a transition summer from High School to College... so to get acclimated and all.  

Im wondering which cards allow you to limit the AU's spending on the card? 

That is very interesting. 

Message 11 of 18
CreditSeductress
Established Member

BellaLina wrote: 

I agree there is always that one family member you want to help out ... but you can only go so far... 

I get the doing it for the youngins... in my case my nephews and nieces are like sons and daughters .. I have none of my own. 

My sister's son has no credit and just starting out.  She does not have the best of credit, she is working on it (plus she is a single Mom)  I added my nephew as an AU.  I activated the card and sock drawyered it, he has no clue what-so-ever about the card.  Me and my sister agreed he should not know he is an AU user on a card yet.  In 6 months to a year we will tell him so he can apply for a credit card of his own.  He is in a transition summer from High School to College... so to get acclimated and all.  

Others may be able to chime in also, but for me, my American Express Blue Cash Everyday card allows me to lower my Authorized User Credit Card limits down to a minimum of $200.00. Each card has a different account number. The purchases are even broken down by which card was used. It's pretty neat. 

Message 12 of 18
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I added my brother on my Cap1 card as an AU to help him build his credit. I didn't issue him a card. I just recently removed him now that he's underway on building (he's 20). Good experience for both of us. I will do the same wth my son when he's older.

Did this actually help him?  i.e... did it raise his score and allow him to be approved for his own cards in a short amount of time?

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 13 of 18
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@CreditSeductress wrote:

BellaLina wrote: 

Others may be able to chime in also, but for me, my American Express Blue Cash Everyday card allows me to lower my Authorized User Credit Card limits down to a minimum of $200.00. Each card has a different account number. The purchases are even broken down by which card was used. It's pretty neat. 

That would be so nice if all cards offered this for future uses.

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes my amex BCP allows me to set a spending limit with alerts when another limit I also set is met.
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CapOne Venture gives AU's a separate # as well.  I've added 5 of my employees as AU's to be used strictly for business purposes. Company pays the bill weekly.  Never an issue.  While you can't set individual limits their tools make monitoring account super easy.  I get a text message for every transaction so it's easy to make sure everything is authorized.  I can shut off a card in seconds with their wallet app.  I imagine it's helped everyone out as well.  Card has a 45k limit and I make sure balance stays under 5% utilization at statement cutoff.

Message 16 of 18
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Cap1 Platinum, QS1, and QS all have separate AU card numbers as well. I have hubby's cards on the wallet app so I'll know if he uses them (sometimes he forgets).
Message 17 of 18
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I am reminded of the concept of credit virginity. Warren Buffett once said that "Credit worthiness is like virginity. It can be preserved but not restored very easily so it is crazy to play around with it.” I would take it a step further by saying that even if it’s patched up, it will still have that stamp on it of having been touched by someone else.

It is appreciated that parents mean well and often do well by offering credit advice and asking for consent to add their children to their cards, but as a youngster turning eighteen I would rather be embarking on my credit journey from scratch; it contributes to forming my identity, and I will never again get that life-discovering chance.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.