Did you mean: 

Authorized User to Lower Util

tag
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Authorized User to Lower Util

@SecretAzure wrote:

@newhis wrote:

I think if you can add him to a card (not Amex) that is older or close to his AAoA that will benefit the most. Of course, the biggest jump will be when he gets each card below 30%. I think there are a lot of lost points when you get near the max even in a single card.

You specified not Amex, why is that?

Amex changed policy a few years ago, now AUs are reported to the bureaus as new accounts from the request date. So if you had your Amex for 3 years and add someone, their reports will show open date 03/13/2015.

Other banks still report the open date of the main cardholder on AUs account to the bureaus, so they will report the account as open since the original card was open.

Message 11 of 15
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@newhis wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@newhis wrote:

I think if you can add him to a card (not Amex) that is older or close to his AAoA that will benefit the most. Of course, the biggest jump will be when he gets each card below 30%. I think there are a lot of lost points when you get near the max even in a single card.

Amex changed policy a few years ago, now AUs are reported to the bureaus as new accounts from the request date. So if you had your Amex for 3 years and add someone, their reports will show open date 03/13/2015.

Other banks still report the open date of the main cardholder on AUs account to the bureaus, so they will report the account as open since the original card was open.

I added my sister with 0 credit history so I suppose in her case starting at day 1 is still better than no credit history? I'll just leave her on for a while before she applies for something on her own...just not sure for her long she'll have to be an AU in order to get an unsecure card from somebody. Any suggestions on a starting card? 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 12 of 15
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

@newhis wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@newhis wrote:

I added my sister with 0 credit history so I suppose in her case starting at day 1 is still better than no credit history? I'll just leave her on for a while before she applies for something on her own...just not sure for her long she'll have to be an AU in order to get an unsecure card from somebody. Any suggestions on a starting card? 

Any suggestions?

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 13 of 15
newhis
Valued Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

Yes, Amex AU is good for a) people with no credit or b) don't have Amex on their own and won't apply for own Amex, so they can lock MSD until they apply on their own.

When you say 0 credit history you mean absolutely nothing on her report, not even a score? My first unsecured card was Discover without any credit history, opened a BoA secured card at the same time and at 7 months I got Amex PRG with 50k promo (Amex prequal site).

If you want suggestions from the experts you need to provide more information, income, scores, if student, what AUs show in her reports, limits, time reported, or anything else you can provide. I'm not expert, just started 1 year ago, but I read a lot.

Message 14 of 15
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@newhis wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

Yes, Amex AU is good for a) people with no credit or b) don't have Amex on their own and won't apply for own Amex, so they can lock MSD until they apply on their own.

When you say 0 credit history you mean absolutely nothing on her report, not even a score? My first unsecured card was Discover without any credit history, opened a BoA secured card at the same time and at 7 months I got Amex PRG with 50k promo (Amex prequal site).

If you want suggestions from the experts you need to provide more information, income, scores, if student, what AUs show in her reports, limits, time reported, or anything else you can provide. I'm not expert, just started 1 year ago, but I read a lot.

0 like I can't even pull her up on CreditKarma because her social pulls up nothing for her. Didn't know that was possible. She's a student 1/3 way into college, no income really. Your input is very welcome.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.