Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User vs Joint Owner

tag
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Re: Authorized User vs Joint Owner

Myhearts wrote:

Thanks you all!!  I will.  Do I have to send a letter or just call and ask to be removed?

Hearts

So far as I've seen elsewhere on here, a phone call should do the trick.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 11 of 21
jestan01
Valued Member

@Scamp wrote:

@Myhearts wrote:

Thanks you all!!  I will.  Do I have to send a letter or just call and ask to be removed?

Hearts

The call has to be made by the primary user and not the AU.
Message 12 of 21
Scamp
Valued Contributor

jestan01 wrote:

@Scamp wrote:

@Myhearts wrote:

Hearts

The call has to be made by the primary user and not the AU.

That hasn't been the experience of several of our forum members; I've read several accounts of AU's simply calling and asking to have themselves removed and it's done, no problem.

May I ask the source of your information?

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 13 of 21
jestan01
Valued Member

Former Chase AU! My wife added me as an AU to her Chase Visa card, I called Chase and asked to be removed and was told that... "I'm sorry but we can't remove an AU at the AU's request, it has to be made by the primary user only." So, I had to tell her to do it for me.

I wanted out because she's always with a high balance and she's had some late payments, for some reason Chase was reporting one late payment in my CR even though i was a AU????

Message 14 of 21
oracles
Valued Contributor

Great answers fender and Scamp

I always say, under no circumstance should you be a joint account holder.

You just never know what the future will bring.

Definitely cancel being an AU if he is filing BK. Do it before it is done. you dont want to take the chance.

Also jestan, welcome to the forums. I agree, i had to call for my brother in order to take him off of one of my cards as an AU. He could not do it.

Told him he has had enough time to get his report better and to get off lol

Message Edited by oracles on 01-30-2009 01:39 PM
Message 15 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It seems to vary by bank as to whether an AU can take himself/ herself off.

I was AU on my daughter's BofA account when she was out of the country so that I could keep an eye on it (and pay on it, lol.) She had to add me to it, but I was able to take myself off.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 21
Myhearts
Frequent Contributor

Hey All,

Thanks for the advice.. Just an update.  I sent an email to all of DH's cc companies and they all sent replies back that they had cancelled all cards in my name and removed me as an AU effective immediately.  I printed out all the responses just in case later on there is a problem.

Hearts

I can and will be a part of the 700 club this year, because I can do all things through Christ.
Message 17 of 21
Myhearts
Frequent Contributor

Hey All,

Hearts here.  I was checking my cr's today and noticed that all of dh's cc companies are reporting me late and they have not taken me off as an AU.  He filed BK last week and I was wondering how this is going to affect me.. The automatic stay is not issued yet because he just got the pre-counseling certificate faxed yesterday to his attorney.  Does he need to call them?  Do I need to send a letter or fax over to the cr's their responses to his request to remove me as AU on those cards?

Thanks

Hearts

I can and will be a part of the 700 club this year, because I can do all things through Christ.
Message 18 of 21
oracles
Valued Contributor

Hi Hearts

I would have DH call his cards immediately and have them take you off  as an AU.

Also ask if they will do a mid-cycle update to the CB's.

Hope this helps

Message 19 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

In this case, I would go ahead and dispute through the CRA's as "not mine."

Normally I would say to wait and let it percolate through, but you don't want any of your real lenders to take AA when they see these lates hit.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.