Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized User

Does being an authorized user on a CC do anything to your score if that card has good history and has been established for a while?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Authorized User

@Anonymous wrote:

Does being an authorized user on a CC do anything to your score if that card has good history and has been established for a while?

That depends if the CC issuer reports AU's.

If the card reports AU's you will receive all the history from the card no matter if it is good or bad history. If the account has all good history it should help improve your credit profile. If the account has any negative information it will more then likely hurt your credit profile. 

Also if it reports it can change your AAoA depending on how old the account is compared to what you presently have on your credit profile.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 6
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

i'm an "authorized user" on a few of my parents cards. sometimes it shows as me owning the card though. likely because me and my dad share the same name. once i was asked how i opened a card three years before i was born.

anyway, for me i think it has helped. the payment history is perfect and the credit limits are large. but if the company does a manual review they may see that the card is in fact not yours. personally i wouldn't like being an authorized user to influence anything. it doesn't show my creditworthiness at all.

one company said that the authorized user history didn't count, although they also said that having a store card for two years was also useless and it was like i had no history at all

Message 3 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If it shows on your CRs then it will be factored into your FICO score as described above.

And also as stated upon a manual review it may not help you since the account is not yours.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thank you!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me tell you a story; just about four months ago my Fico score was around 545, I got one secured Capital One and put down $99 deposit, that's all I could do until I heard about authorized users. I gave it a shot thanks to my sister who has excellent credit. She added me to her Chase CC and to her Citibank CC, of course she never even gave me the actual cards. Today my score is TU 685, EQ 650 and EX 696. My plan is to reach 700 all around before I apply for a car. So if there's anybody you know with good credit whose willing to help you then go ahead, tell that person you don't need to use the actual credit cards so they can feel at ease. Good luck
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.