Re: Authorized User

@Anonymous wrote:
Creditor Name             AMEX
Account Type              Credit Card
Account Status            Open
Opened Date                Feb 22, 2000
Closed Date                 --
Responsibility              Terminated

I don't know if this could be the reason but Amex gives AUs their own card number so it may have to do with that.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a AU way back like 10 years ago, I saw last year my brother had let it go to collections and was reporting on my credit profile as a CO and collection dragging my scores down. I did some research and found out that if you dispute it with the credit bureas, they HAVE to delete IF you challenge it. Now, it was in closed and in collections so I am not sure if that made a difference but my brother never "released" me as a AU. he was too scared to call the bank.....I had goggled it, so it out there if you want more info as far as AU reporting on your CR. 

Message 13 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

To be honest, it's not a big deal either way.

If you cancel the AU with the CC, it will continue to report for as long as the original user still has the account open..then 10 years after that. 

If they were old credit cards with 100% payment history; they helped you more than they hurt you even with high utilization.  Utilization is ~30% of your score,  As long as everything else was fine with those and they were old cards, they still have a net 70% positive affect on your score.

If you have a thin credit file or low score, I'd keep them on.

If you are already solid in your credit, then you can call the CC or dispute with the CB to purge them permanently from your report.

My guess is, right now you are fine.  Just let them keep reporting on your credit although your responsibility will now say "terminated"

Careful about generalizations.

Your experience may not reflect what will happen with anyone else.

I wish sometimes the letters "YMMV" would default into every post.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
silver_idle
Established Contributor

Correct me if im wrong but I thought the an AU does not really help a credit report anymore due to the "piggyback" issue many years ago. I know it does report but it also reports as a "Authorized User" (depending on the issuer I guess?) which creditors who pull the CR will see. Again correct me if im wrong.

Message 16 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am sitting here looking at my credit report from an AU terminated 7 years ago.  Still reporting. 

Always be careful assuming trends from a single data point and/or anecdotal evidence on any topic.  People have experienced both with accounts where they were an AU and then removed.  I haven't really dug into the matter to see if I can determine why that seems to be the case.

@dariusc93 wrote:

Correct me if im wrong but I thought the an AU does not really help a credit report anymore due to the "piggyback" issue many years ago. I know it does report but it also reports as a "Authorized User" (depending on the issuer I guess?) which creditors who pull the CR will see. Again correct me if im wrong.

This is also not a one-size-fits-all matter.  In some cases being an AU on a good tradeline can be benficial.  In some cases such accounts are disregarded.  From what I can tell FICO doesn't simply consider all AU's to be piggybacking but the details seem to be difficult to uncover.

There are some creditors that completely disregard accounts where one is an AU.  There are creditors that do consider such accounts.  Don't assume all creditors to be identical.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you cancel the AU with the CC, it will continue to report for as long as the original user still has the account open..then 10 years after that. 

Careful about generalizations.

Your experience may not reflect what will happen with anyone else.

I wish sometimes the letters "YMMV" would default into every post.

I am the only person who has actually posted proof of what happens.

In fact, it has happened exactly how I described in this other thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Responsibility-Terminated/m-p/3878287/highlight/true#M1081770?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=forum-board%3Acreditcard&q=terminated

When you say YMMV, who else has had it ended in a different way and why would the CB have the term "terminated" in their responsibility field if it weren't a regular occurence?f  I

t must happen quite often/all the time  if the CB actually has a standardized term for it.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am sitting here looking at my credit report from an AU terminated 7 years ago.  Still reporting. 

Always be careful assuming trends from a single data point and/or anecdotal evidence 

You think that the CB's came up with the terminology of "Terminated Responsibility" just for me? 

If this was assumption on a single data point, why would the terminology of "TERMINATED" responsibility even exist with the CB's.  This isn't just anecdotal or a single data point as you say... it happened again just a couple days ago on the forums:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Responsibility-Terminated/m-p/3878287/highlight/true#M1081770?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=forum-board%3Acreditcard&q=terminated

Again, Responsibility TERMINATED = Cancelled AU..the same terminology for the same occurence.  Certainly it couldn't be anecdotal for the CB's to come up with the "Terminated" terminology just for little 'ol me.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.