cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized Users - Inhereting credit history (DCU and CapOne)

tag
hunnypuppy
New Visitor

Re: Authorized Users - Inhereting credit history (DCU and CapOne)

This is good stuff thank you all. So it looks like an AU will just build credit history which is nice but it won't be counted as a trade line. I.e. for a mortgage since a person needs 3 active trade lines for atleast 2 years the answer would be to add my spouse as a Joint Account holder, where as her credit score will get a small ding due to opening a new account but she will inherit my long history and share my deep credit limits.

You said Amex doesn't provide Joint Holders. I have here on my Amex card as AU (added her 7 years ago) which has helped her build her credit history to a near perfect score. But I don't see AU mentioned anywhere on any of the credit bureau reports. It looks like a regular account. Am I missing something here? Will the mortgage company know it's an AU and not a TL?

Message 11 of 18
hunnypuppy
New Visitor

I missed something here, will adding my spouse a co borrower show up as account creation date as MY ORIGINAL date (i.e. inherit my history) or will it show up as the date of adding as a co-borrower?

Message 12 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

My DH is an ACM on my PRG and it shows up as Authorized User. If she is added as a joint to your cc's it should give your history. UNLESS. The lender issues a new TL. The best way to know for sure is ask the lender directly.

Good luck!
Message 13 of 18
hunnypuppy
New Visitor

Okay here's a twist, I was just told I cannot add my spouse as a joint account holder or co borrower on my EXISTING credit card but can I do so on a new card.

Has anyone been able to ADD  another person to their EXISTING credit card as a joint account holder (not an AU)?

Message 14 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

That's is very common. Understand that now both credit reports are reviewed. So, its not as simple as pull hers and place it on mine. Likewise, when you want to remove a joint you will be told to close the account and reapply.
Message 15 of 18
CreditSeductress
Established Member

Discover allowed me to be put on my Father's Account as a Joint Account Holder in 2006. The card was opened in 2002. My credit reports show the open date as 2002, the original date the account was opened on all 3 Bureaus.

Now, at that time, I was rebuilding.....so in NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM, was my credit pulled.....as it was ATROCIOUS!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure I stilled owed Discover money at that time also! Not sure if that's still how they operate, but that was my experience.

Call every credit card issuer you have, and ask if they'll let you add her as a Joint Account Holder. If not, see if the mortgage company will allow her to use non-traditional credit with a 2 year payment history. It won't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no!

Message 16 of 18
hunnypuppy
New Visitor

Thanks that was helpful. What is non traditional credit?
Message 17 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.