Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized Users to build credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized Users to build credit

I added my sons to 6 of my credit cards about six months ago when they had no credit file whatsoever.  I just checked CreditKarma to see if they have one now, and they both have scores of 724 and the oldest of the 6 cards is only 8 months old.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
kdong1996
Regular Contributor

Re: Authorized Users to build credit

Congrats! That's how I initally got my score too and it saved me a lot of time. Try having them apply for a Chase card if they still haven't got a card. Chase was pretty awesome about giving me credit with only an AU card reporting.

Message 2 of 12
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I added my sons to 6 of my credit cards about six months ago when they had no credit file whatsoever.  I just checked CreditKarma to see if they have one now, and they both have scores of 724 and the oldest of the 6 cards is only 8 months old.

If you do not mind me asking, how old are your sons?  I added my 17 year old step daughter as an AU on my Amex BCE to establish her credit and more importantly to establish a MSD.  I can not check her credit, since she is not 18 - so I am not sure of the impact.  

To the other members, what age can you add your kids?  I have my own two kids and would like to add them as well, but they are too young at this point (12 and 13).  Thanks in advance for the insight.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@akula wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you do not mind me asking, how old are your sons?  I added my 17 year old step daughter as an AU on my Amex BCE to establish her credit and more importantly to establish a MSD.  I can not check her credit, since she is not 18 - so I am not sure of the impact.  

To the other members, what age can you add your kids?  I have my own two kids and would like to add them as well, but they are too young at this point (12 and 13).  Thanks in advance for the insight.

They are grown (early 20s)

Message 4 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@akula wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They are grown (early 20s)

That's a good first step: have them get their own cards as AU accounts are discounted by many lenders for anything serious - leverage the AU's to build their own credit report.

        
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do, thanks.  They don't plan on applying for anything for 6 months to a year.  Just wanted to give them a boost in the right direction. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Will do, thanks.  They don't plan on applying for anything for 6 months to a year.  Just wanted to give them a boost in the right direction. Smiley Happy

It's their business. But honestly, if they are in their 20's, I am not sure why they would be waiting for 6 month to a year before they apply for anything. If they want to establish credit, sooner when they don't need it is better than later when they do.  

But otherwise, congrats to you and them. They are off to a good start.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Tell 'em to pull da trigga

It's a boost but AU only goes so far.

My brother only had AU accounts (like 5 accounts).  He applied for AMEX Green card and Costco.  Approved for both and got $4,000 on Costco with only AU accounts to his name.

Message 8 of 12
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

I added my 12 yr old son to 8 of my cards as a AU. Waiting til he turn 15 to add him to my Amex accounts

most lenders don't have a age limit or requirement.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, I previously thought it was 15.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.