Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized Users

tag
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

Re: Authorized Users

@Anonymous wrote:

got it. Now i am confused about amex.  My dad is going to add me.  Now, he went to "add additional" card holders to add me.  I believe they will send me my card with different card numbers but both linked to the same acct correct? my thing is, once they issue me my card with a different card number, will the history on that card reflect on my cr or will it only reflect the time I start to use it.

Yes, the card numbers will be different even though they report to the same account.  

I am AU on my mom's Costco AmEx and the history posts for me.  But I've been AU since the account opened so I'm not sure if your dad's previous history would report on your CR.  In any case, all future account activity will be reflected in your CR no matter which card it comes from.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh ok..thanks.  THat is what i am hoping for...that his credit history does reflect on my cr ..we shall see. =)

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you're an AU on an account, the entire history of the account shows up on your CR.  Even AmEx.  One of the great advantages (or disadvantages) of being an AU!

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

how long does it take to post to your cr?

Message 14 of 22
shane82388
Established Contributor

Wait you mean the person that is allowing you to be an authorized user will have all their past and current accounts to report on your credit report?

Message 15 of 22
shane82388
Established Contributor

When i went to the Chase ATM in my local grocery store tonight there as a little table next to it with pamphlets. One said something about building your credit if you dont have credit...I opened it and read through real quick. It suggested you become a authorized user on someone elses account. Honestly, i thought they were going to have started offering an easy to get card or a secured card again but yeah...they suggest becoming a authorized user in order to build your own credit. So i think they will definitely report.

Message 16 of 22
Booner72
Senior Contributor

When DH got his AU cards for JCP & CareCredit the card numbers were exactly the same as mine.  When I got the Lowe's card being an AU on his Lowe's, the card #'s were exactly the same.  When my dad got the card in the mail that I was going to be an AU on his CU VISA, the cards were different.

Both DH and I were added near instantly when we AU'd each other.

But when my dad AU'd me it didn't show up though the credit union visa he put me on.

I added my bro last week to my JCP, Walmart, and Carecredit - they did ask for SSN only on Carecredit - and they haven't shown up yet.  Though I added DH on Walmart and it posted within a few days - before the card came in the mail.

This post just goes to show you how unpredictable AU'ing is.  I think because DH and I have same last name and same address we were easy to report?  I just don't know.

Good Luck!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shane82388 wrote:

Wait you mean the person that is allowing you to be an authorized user will have all their past and current accounts to report on your credit report?

Not all past and current accounts.  All past and current activity on the account you are added as an AU on. 

For example:

Your dad has accounts with AMEX, Chase, Home Depot, and Macy's.  He decides to add you as an AU on his Home Depot account, but not his AMEX, Chase, or Macy's.  Your CR will show that you are an AU on your dad's Home Depot account, but none of his other accounts.  If you were to compare your CR with your dad's CR, the Home Depot account will look exactly the same (member since date, late payments, utilization, etc) except yours will say "Authorized User" and his won't.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

how long does it take to post to your cr?

However long AMEX takes to report it to the CRAs.

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shane82388 wrote:

No, not all their accounts.  The account you are an AU on will show up on your report (hopefully - some card issuers do report AU's and other issuers do not report AU's).  If it does show up, it will show up in its entirety.  You gain the history, including the length of history, any lates, and the CL.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.