Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized Users

tag
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Authorized Users

How does making someone an authorized user have a positive impact on their credit when no social is given/required? 

My sister is coming to town to stay with me for a month. I've added her to 3 of my cards because she needs to pay down her own debt(leave her cards alone) but more importantly, she can put some spend on mine and gain me even more cashback. My sister doesn't live with me. She lives out of state. The cards will arrive at my home. All they asked for was a name. It could be a made up name for all they know. How will this show up on her reports without a more specific indentifer(social)? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Authorized Users

Sometimes it shows up, sometimes it doesn't. with no social, it will usually only show up if you both have a common address on your reports.
Message 2 of 5
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Correct. When I had my mom as AU on my Macy's it didn't show up on her reports. But when I moved in with her and change my address to hers it showed. So I added her on a bunch of cards to help her score.
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 3 of 5
JSS3
Valued Contributor

I didn't know there was a strong likelihood it wouldn't show at all when you don't live with eachother. I just thought they had their way(which I couldn't understand how). My sister and I haven't lived in the same household for years. Any addresses on file do not go back that far(not from what I've seen when asking security questions...but who really knows?) Luckily, this wasn't done to improve her score. She'll help me meet more spend. I still get that.

Message 4 of 5
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.