Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user in 2014 question

tag
roadtoamex

Authorized user in 2014 question

Hey guys, 

I've read some conflicting things here in the forums from past and more recent threads and was hoping for some help in a decision. I have a 660 range score right now and am about to purchase a home. My mother who I take care of financially has a card with a 20k limit, that she pays in full each month, balance never exceeds $4000 and she has never missed a payment in 12 years of having the card. 

I had explained to her how I was building my credit the last year for a home purchase (I've always paid cash for everything including cars). As one of the things that is hurting me is age of accounts, she offered to add me as an AU. 

Currently my two personal cards are a little over 30k credit, I never exceed $2000 balance and it doesn't matter because I pay in full each month so my utilization is reporting at like 2%. 

Will her adding me to that card help immediately? average age will go up a couple of years I imagine as well as another 20k in avail credit bringing me to 50k. Are authorized users still benefiting from this in 2014. 

If it will help, I'd love to have her do it, technically I pay that card anyway, but I'm concerned a "new account" ding might drop me, or the AU label (if there is one designated) could hurt. 

Any current info would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
ficobgtx
Regular Contributor

Re: Authorized user in 2014 question

This will hurt your AAoA, not help. I'm not really sure if this will help at all in your case. Guess it could lower your overall util, but yours is already low.

TU - 850 (BOA TU08 FICO/Barclay TU08), 831 (CK FAKO)
EQ - 870 (CITI FICO), 848 (ATFCU FICO), 831 (CK FAKO)
EX - 841 (AMEX FICO)
Message 2 of 15
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@ficobgtx wrote:

This will hurt your AAoA, not help. I'm not really sure if this will help at all in your case. Guess it could lower your overall util, but yours is already low.

My Dad, when he was living (still miss him very much), added me to a Chase card that he opened years ago.  The limit was 10K and he never went over 2.6K.  He closed it in 2004 with a perfect payment history and it comes off my reports at the end of this month.  It's done nothing but good things for me, adding to my AAoA because the 81 month payment history and age transferred over to my reports.  Unfortunately, back then when I didn't care about credit, I didn't even check if I was dinged for a new account but I'm pretty sure the age and perfect payment history came along with it.  I can't comment exactly what it did in the short run but I don't think it would hurt you at all.  I would only do it for the age because your util is perfect.

From what I can gather, 6+ years AAoA is a sweet spot for FICO.  If it would roll you over that, I might consider.  

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 3 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@roadtoamex wrote:

Hey guys, 

I've read some conflicting things here in the forums from past and more recent threads and was hoping for some help in a decision. I have a 660 range score right now and am about to purchase a home. My mother who I take care of financially has a card with a 20k limit, that she pays in full each month, balance never exceeds $4000 and she has never missed a payment in 12 years of having the card. 

I had explained to her how I was building my credit the last year for a home purchase (I've always paid cash for everything including cars). As one of the things that is hurting me is age of accounts, she offered to add me as an AU. 

Currently my two personal cards are a little over 30k credit, I never exceed $2000 balance and it doesn't matter because I pay in full each month so my utilization is reporting at like 2%. 

Will her adding me to that card help immediately? average age will go up a couple of years I imagine as well as another 20k in avail credit bringing me to 50k. Are authorized users still benefiting from this in 2014. 

If it will help, I'd love to have her do it, technically I pay that card anyway, but I'm concerned a "new account" ding might drop me, or the AU label (if there is one designated) could hurt. 

Any current info would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Welcome to the forum.  The issue you should ask your LO is whether or not an AU account will be discounted for your mortgage app.  With a 660 score, low util are there any baddies on your reports?

And who is your Moms cc with? Amex does not backdate ACMs

Message 4 of 15
roadtoamex

Yep I'm curious about the short term ding (if any) and how severe it could be for adding a new account like that. I think long term, it can't do anything but help, seems there is no downside to being an AU on an aged low utilization account. I just don't want to have the account added and drop 30 points for the next few months. 

Message 5 of 15
roadtoamex

I'm not really concerned if it is not counted on the app, overall if it will bump my fico score up, I don't care if they don't factor in that 20k limit and history. I believe the card is chase. 

Message 6 of 15
ficobgtx
Regular Contributor

While I think it is difficult/impossible to say how many point it will cost you, this will be a new account for you. As Lexie mentions, Amex used to give ACM's (Additional Card Member) backdating, but not anymore. And no other cards backdate. So this would show as a new TL on your report without the aging that the primary account holder has. Therefore your AAoA will go down. 

TU - 850 (BOA TU08 FICO/Barclay TU08), 831 (CK FAKO)
EQ - 870 (CITI FICO), 848 (ATFCU FICO), 831 (CK FAKO)
EX - 841 (AMEX FICO)
Message 7 of 15
evil_ducky
Contributor

OP hasn't stated the card's issuer. If it is an Amex and their first, AAoA will go down as it will act as a brand-new account. If it is any other kind of card, OP will inherit the card's history.
Message 8 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ficobgtx wrote:

While I think it is difficult/impossible to say how many point it will cost you, this will be a new account for you. As Lexie mentions, Amex used to give ACM's (Additional Card Member) backdating, but not anymore. And no other cards backdate. So this would show as a new TL on your report without the aging that the primary account holder has. Therefore your AAoA will go down. 

With most cc's AUs will inherit the primary card history-  Amex is the only issuer that does not allow ACMs to inherit the history.

I think you are getting the terms backdate and inherit confused. 

Message 9 of 15
Vegas247
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@ficobgtx wrote:

With most cc's AUs will inherit the primary card history-  Amex is the only issuer that does not allow ACMs to inherit the history.

I think you are getting the terms backdate and inherit confused. 

So Lexie, you are saying the OP would definetly benefit then, since his mom has perfect payment history. Then the OP should do it.

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.