Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user question

I read online that to ad someone as an authorized user,  the account had to be 'seasoned'.  Their definition of seasoned was that the account was 2yrs plus old with solid payment history. 

Was this just a recommendation? as my cards are only 7 months old atm, and anything with positive history between the 1-2 year marks would help me out.  So would I be ok with be added onto a card that is 1 1/2 yrs old?  Or were these sources online right that it is in fact a requirement and not a recommendation?   Who would require it the banks?  Or the CRA use those requirements in order for it to be reported?   Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized user question

Sounds like misinformation. I've had no trouble adding people onto cards that weren't even a year old. Maybe some banks have different requirements, but I haven't run into them so far.

Message 2 of 7
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I read online that to ad someone as an authorized user,  the account had to be 'seasoned'.  Their definition of seasoned was that the account was 2yrs plus old with solid payment history. 

Was this just a recommendation? as my cards are only 7 months old atm, and anything with positive history between the 1-2 year marks would help me out.  So would I be ok with be added onto a card that is 1 1/2 yrs old?  Or were these sources online right that it is in fact a requirement and not a recommendation?   Who would require it the banks?  Or the CRA use those requirements in order for it to be reported?   Thanks!

I have never saw that ever happen, the longer the trade line is the better it will be when it reports to the CB's. GE said the thier trade lines only report if you are marred to the account holder, i found that to be untrue because i added a friend that lives at the same address and it reported to his report, for GE i think you need to live at the same address for it to report because they don't have his ssn on file.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sweet thanks for the replies dudes, I appreciate it!  I am going to see if my mother-in-law or father-in-law will ad me as AU, they don't have cards that are 2yrs old, but they are nearly twice as old as mine, and I only have 2 cc's so that should help I'm hoping!  Wish me luck!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sweet thanks for the replies dudes, I appreciate it!  I am going to see if my mother-in-law or father-in-law will ad me as AU, they don't have cards that are 2yrs old, but they are nearly twice as old as mine, and I only have 2 cc's so that should help I'm hoping!  Wish me luck!

Keep in mind that if the cards have high utilization or any late payments, all of that is going to get counted against your credit report too as long as you're an AU.

So if the cards are clean and have high credit limits with low (or no) balances, great. But if there's anything negative on them, it might not help you out as much.

Message 5 of 7
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Remember not all accounts report, i know that Capital One does and AMEX. Only personal report to your credit. If thier is anything bad that reported then you don't want that.
Message 6 of 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Being on an AU does you no good unless the card has a long history (longer than yours) and good payment history.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.