Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user question...

tag
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

Authorized user question...

If I try to add someone as an authorized user on one of my cards can they be denied due to lack of credit history or bad credit?

Also there credit profile or lack thereof will not reflect upon me in the eyes of the credit provider... Correct?
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Authorized user question...

You will have full responsibility for the AU's debt not them. 

The lender cannot see your AU's credit because you will add them after the fact 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 6
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

So they will verify the identity of the individual without a review of said individuals credit report because I'm responsible for any charges they make...

Thank you for clarifying that. I wasn't sure if being added as an A.U. would show up as a hard pull on her report.

One last question; Will the bill be split and mailed seperately and due simultaneously or will I just get one bill as usual?
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 3 of 6
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

An Authorized User is someone YOU allow to use your account.  You add them and the credit card company gives them a card WITHOUT looking at their credit.  In return and as a basis for that action, the credit card company will hold YOU responsible for any and all charges that the Authorized User makes.

The credit card company will bill YOU, not them.  As far as I know (I have been an Authorized user for several years) the bill is never "split" and in fact is always sent to the account holder (you).

If you allowed someone to be an authorized user on your account, you have accepted full responsibility for any charges which that Authorized User approves or makes. 

Be very clear...you not them is responsible and it is you not them whom the credit card company will seek payment from.

If I am wrong, it will be news to me. 

be careful

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes a lender will perform a soft pull, but never a hard pull.  I have seen soft pulls with AmEx and with USAA when adding an AU.

The other person's credit history or lack thereof is generally irrelevant except for AmEx.  If they have caused AmEx a financial loss in the past, AmEx will not allow them to be added as an AU.  Navy Federal will sometimes do this, too.

Although you are fully responsible for any charges the AU makes, some banks hold AUs legally liable for their purchases in the event you do not pay.  USAA does this as does, sometimes, AmEx.  

Message 5 of 6
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Also you can add someone without issuing a card. I know Capital One has that option through their website. However, when I added my husband as an AU to my Chase Freedom, it sent him a card by default through their website. So you may have to call to change default preferences.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.