Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user questions

tag
fmedina2
Established Member

Authorized user questions

Hello, I recently just got accepted for a Discover more card with a $3000 credit limit. My girlfriend has very bad credit, her mom put some accounts under her name and ran them into collections. I just wanted to know how would adding her as an authorized user affect my credit score and her credit score, if it has any effect at all. And also would they check her credit when I try to add her? Thanks in advanced.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized user questions

I personally dont know if they check the credit when you are adding an AU - sorry...

However, Adding an AU can be beneficial IF:

1) The person you are adding has no credit experience or

2) The person you are adding is carrying high balances (adding that extra 3K will lower her ratio somewhat) or

3) The tradeline is old (aged accounts help with Ficos)

I can't quite say if it will help or not (I am quite inexperienced with Ficos) but I will leave that for other members who have seen this benefit.

I personally added my sibling to my AMEX blue when I got it in 2007 and he recently applied for 2 AMEX cards - and had them back-dated to 07 - don't you just love that Amex does that? So now, he doesnt have the new account dings, and has 2 more cards that the history goes back to 2007.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized user questions

@fmedina2 wrote:

Hello, I recently just got accepted for a Discover more card with a $3000 credit limit. My girlfriend has very bad credit, her mom put some accounts under her name and ran them into collections. I just wanted to know how would adding her as an authorized user affect my credit score and her credit score, if it has any effect at all. And also would they check her credit when I try to add her? Thanks in advanced.

I'm sorry for her ~   too bad, you can't fix that.

I don't think it affect to your credit score, because it is just an AU not joint acct holder.

On her side, it really doesn't help that much neither.   Why?  Because you just got it and 3k is not that much of CL.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.