Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user

I have poor/fair credit but my fiancé has good credit. She just opened a B of A Cash Rewards Credit Card and we are considering adding me to the card to work on my credit. Do you think this would be a good or bad thing and why? (We both plan on monitoring this card and keeping it at 10% utilization or less).
5 REPLIES 5
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Authorized user

It could pad your utilization if that's what you're going after. It's obviously not old enough to help with AAoA. I feel like being an AU is just a bandaid. You should focus on building your own profile Smiley Happy
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scupra wrote:
It could pad your utilization if that's what you're going after. It's obviously not old enough to help with AAoA. I feel like being an AU is just a bandaid. You should focus on building your own profile Smiley Happy

+1

My DW and I are all AU on each other's cards, so it does pad out nicely.  But we are definitely working on building both profiles

Message 3 of 6
creditguy
Valued Contributor

It certainly can't hurt you, but the best way to build credit is to get your own cards or work on whatever is holding you back. Without knowing your particulars it's hard to give any diffinitive advice.
Message 4 of 6
Scupra
Super Contributor

@creditguy wrote:
It certainly can't hurt you, but the best way to build credit is to get your own cards or work on whatever is holding you back. Without knowing your particulars it's hard to give any diffinitive advice.

I mean, it could haha.. A new account will lower AAoA

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing to consider is BOA allows the option to add a joint owner, not just an authorized user.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.