Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user

Hello!

I just had a quick question regarding my credit. I am 19 years old and have 15 accounts being reported. My average age is 1 yr 5 mos.

I was added as an authorized user before I turned 18 on two credit cards. They are both capital one credit cards I believe quicksilvers. One of the credit cards has an $1800 limit that gets used for daily purchases and pretty much paid off at end of month. The other card has a balance of $2644 which gets slowly paid down every month. The credit limit on that card is $7000. Both cards were opened in 2007. My fico is currently 719. I am wondering if by removing those accounts just because I don't need them anymore would it be a positive in any way? Does age of a card like that as an authorized user matter? Or should I just remove both cards to reduce util and will that boost my score at all? I use credit for rewards. I try to open up a ton of cards and make a small purchase every year to keep them open. Any advice would be appreciated.

The only thing that I am thinking is that you reduce available credit by $8800 just to reduce $2700. Counters eachother out.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized user

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello!

I just had a quick question regarding my credit. I am 19 years old and have 15 accounts being reported. My average age is 1 yr 5 mos.

I was added as an authorized user before I turned 18 on two credit cards. They are both capital one credit cards I believe quicksilvers. One of the credit cards has an $1800 limit that gets used for daily purchases and pretty much paid off at end of month. The other card has a balance of $2644 which gets slowly paid down every month. The credit limit on that card is $7000. Both cards were opened in 2007. My fico is currently 719. I am wondering if by removing those accounts just because I don't need them anymore would it be a positive in any way? Does age of a card like that as an authorized user matter? Or should I just remove both cards to reduce util and will that boost my score at all? I use credit for rewards. I try to open up a ton of cards and make a small purchase every year to keep them open. Any advice would be appreciated.

The only thing that I am thinking is that you reduce available credit by $8800 just to reduce $2700. Counters eachother out.

Thanks!

What is your overall credit limit total including those 2 cards?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Including $37700

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Including $37700

The $8800 is a sizable chunk of that overall credit but so is $2700 a big part of the utilization.  If you think that the utilization in the AU accounts is going to consistently remain high you probably would be better to dump thrm.  On the other hand if you think it's only temporary Id just keep them to pad your overall CL u til you get bigger CLs on your own.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough. I appreciate the advice.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Fair enough. I appreciate the advice.

Thanks.

Anytime and good luck.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.