Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto CLI Strategy for new Chase Freedom

tag
navyox
Regular Contributor

Auto CLI Strategy for new Chase Freedom

I did search this topic and found some older threads.    I've had the card for less than a month, first statement has not been cut yet.    From what I read is it looks like the majority would recommend using it alot (for stuff you'd normally buy of course), PIF, and hope for the best.   A minority suggest letting a small balance carry.

Since I'm new to Chase, I plan on going conservative and not trying the small balance approach.   I will just use it for whatever I'd normally spend and PIF when statement is cut.   Any other wisdom  out there, anyone gotten auto-CLIs from Chase on a new Freedom account?

My normal CC spend is $700-900 a month, I hope that would be enough to trigger a CLI, but with the limit of $2500 not sure it will be.   My short-term goal is a bigger CL for utilization purposes, long-term build a good relationship with Chase should I decide to go for CSP or United Mileage Explorer.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Re: Auto CLI Strategy for new Chase Freedom

My DH opened his Freedom card in mid-January this year with a starting limit of $4,000.  In early February, he used it to buy new tires for about $700.  This is the only purchase he made with the Freedom.  Seriously.  Since it had 0% APR for the first 15-months, we just made $100 per month payments.  In June, he received an auto-CLI of $2,300 for a new limit of $6,300.

Yes, he got auto-LUV after just 5 months and had only used the card once and was carrying a balance.  Meanwhile, I run about $2,000 through my Freedom most months, PIF before statement cuts, and have not seen any auto-LUV.  Pffffttttt!   lol

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 2 of 9
eddie84
Valued Contributor

^ Haha.. That's good to know.  I'm in the same boat as OP (just got my Freedom card with $4k CL less than a month ago).  So just use it once and carry the balance then. Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 9
navyox
Regular Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

My DH opened his Freedom card in mid-January this year with a starting limit of $4,000.  In early February, he used it to buy new tires for about $700.  This is the only purchase he made with the Freedom.  Seriously.  Since it had 0% APR for the first 15-months, we just made $100 per month payments.  In June, he received an auto-CLI of $2,300 for a new limit of $6,300.

Yes, he got auto-LUV after just 5 months and had only used the card once and was carrying a balance.  Meanwhile, I run about $2,000 through my Freedom most months, PIF before statement cuts, and have not seen any auto-LUV.  Pffffttttt!   lol

Maybe since you PIF before the statement cuts, their computer sees it as you are not using the card?   I don't know.   The cynic in me wonders if their model sees your DH's card and thinks "this guy carries a balance we can make money on him".   I don't know, but it is fun to speculate what goes on behind the curtain. 

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 4 of 9
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

tja.. I am in the same boat Smiley Happy   ... tried to spend reasonable for the first 3 months (about 15% util) - next 4 months higher usage (about 60-70%) ..no luv yet. But I did not carry a balance yet...might do this while in the 0% apr and see how that will go.... Good luck on your mission ..LOL

Message 5 of 9
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

I recently got a small auto cli on my freedom visa. I got the card in late May and got the auto inc. this mth b4 the 4th statement cut. I have been carrying a balance since I have the 0% intro, using about 40-50% of that cl. There have been others on here who posted about their auto cli's too.

Seems like so far it's after about 3 mths.

Message 6 of 9
370Z
Frequent Contributor

@navyox wrote:

I did search this topic and found some older threads.    I've had the card for less than a month, first statement has not been cut yet.    From what I read is it looks like the majority would recommend using it alot (for stuff you'd normally buy of course), PIF, and hope for the best.   A minority suggest letting a small balance carry.

Since I'm new to Chase, I plan on going conservative and not trying the small balance approach.   I will just use it for whatever I'd normally spend and PIF when statement is cut.   Any other wisdom  out there, anyone gotten auto-CLIs from Chase on a new Freedom account?

My normal CC spend is $700-900 a month, I hope that would be enough to trigger a CLI, but with the limit of $2500 not sure it will be.   My short-term goal is a bigger CL for utilization purposes, long-term build a good relationship with Chase should I decide to go for CSP or United Mileage Explorer.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that percentage (of CL) spending is too low for an auto-CLI. 40-60% (of CLI) for several months seems to be about the bare minimum.

EQ8 817 (3/24) EQ9 850 (1/24) EX8 828 (4/24) EX9 848 (4/24) TU8 819 (3/24)
Chase_Hyatt|10k|15.24%|6/13 * Amex_Hilton|10k|13.99%|8/13 * Chase_IHG|10k|15.24%|1/14 * Chase_Ink$|12k|13.24%|5/14 * NFCU$|46k|9.65%|12/14 * Amex_ED|10k|12.99%|1/16 * Citi_Custom$|45k|15.24%|4/16 * Merrill+|68k|12.99%|2/17 * Amex_BB+|10k|15.24%|3/18 * PenFed_Pathfinder|29.4k|12.74%|9/18 * WF_Autograph|25k|16.99%|7/19 * AODFCU_VS|22k|7.49%|4/20 * Chase_Ritz_Carlton|48.5k|15.99%|10/21 * Amex_BB$|42k|13.24%|8/22 * Redstone_FCU_VS|10k|12.00%|6/23 * C1_VX|30k|14.74%|1/24
Gone: CSP, AA x3, Ink+, Premier, CSR, CFU, CF, AARP, Limitless
Message 7 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@9CLINE wrote:

I recently got a small auto cli on my freedom visa. I got the card in late May and got the auto inc. this mth b4 the 4th statement cut. I have been carrying a balance since I have the 0% intro, using about 40-50% of that cl. There have been others on here who posted about their auto cli's too.

Seems like so far it's after about 3 mths.

I've had the Freedom since early june. Fourth statement will be cutting in next few days. Have never carried a balance. Have run significant number of charges through card which has a 3k limit. Last month I ran well over the full credit line through the card (making multiple payments during cycle). I let 2.2k report to CRAs one month. The last two months I let approx $80-$110 report each month before PIF immediately after statement cut. Hoping for auto cli, but nothing has come through yet. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 8 of 9
resilient
Established Contributor

I'd like an increase on mine....I think they've extended me what they want to though Smiley Sad

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.