cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan downpayment using CSP for rewards bonus?

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Auto Loan downpayment using CSP for rewards bonus?

Message 11 of 13
James82
Regular Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Good luck

Thanks, I'll see you in the garden shortly, I'll have a lot of HP recovery going on soon. Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: EQ 574 - 08.28.13
High Score: EQ 714 (10/18/13) EX 686 (1/6/14) TU 664 (1/6/14)
Current Score: EQ 686 - EX ____- TU ____

Message 12 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

It depends on the type of car, price of the car and the dealership as to how much they'll let you charge on a credit card.

For most cars that are >80k, they'll usually let you put the whole car on the card if you want.

For cars below that pricepoint, dealerships usually let you charge about 2-5k on a card. 

If you're buying a car that's like 20-40k and a dealership is willing to let you charge a large sum on your credit card, then you know you have more work to do in bringing down the price of the car. 

Some dealers will not allow you to charge anything on a credit card either, especially if they are giving you a steep discount on the car itself.

For me personally, I rather negotiate for a lower price and to pay for the whole car in cash, because the discounts is usually a lot more significant than whatever rewards credit card have.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.