cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Pay Car Payment With Credit Card?

tag
omskillet
Regular Contributor

Re: Auto-Pay Car Payment With Credit Card?

Sadly, neither BMW Financial Services nor Toyota Financial services will let you pay with a credit card. I've called to inquire and never gotten a very clear answer as to why they only support payment by checking or savings account.

Message 11 of 36
bribro
Valued Contributor

@omskillet wrote:

Sadly, neither BMW Financial Services nor Toyota Financial services will let you pay with a credit card. I've called to inquire and never gotten a very clear answer as to why they only support payment by checking or savings account.

The answer is because they make more money.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 12 of 36
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

The times I've seen it allowed, it's treated as a cash advance... and the fee structure was identical to cash advance offers too.

In general it's not worth doing just to goose up your aggregate monthly credit card spend.

        
Message 13 of 36
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Maybe cash advance checks linked to the credit card account?

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 14 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chris2k5 wrote:

My car loan is through Citizens Bank and I pay each month with my credit cards to get points. It definitely depends on the lender.

I agree, I think it depends on the lender.

As a "best practice," the only reason to go this route is for rewards. (Currently, I get 1% back on all utilities and services! Not rent or car payment though... Might be worth checking out.) I also highly recommend paying in full every month, of course.

Message 15 of 36
TATATA
Regular Contributor

I know NMAC (lender for Nissan and Infiniti) accepts credit card payments. I think there is a small fee involved, of course. 

Total CL's combine: $150,600.
Message 16 of 36
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

Ford Credit (and now Lincoln Credit wince they split it up) will allow you to pay with a credit card.  You will be linked to Chase actually who handles the transaction and charges you $12 for the "fun".  You can use any card you want through them but some cards, Citi for example, will charge you a cash advance fee for using their card for this type of transaction.  I only have experience with doing this through Lincoln so I cannot comment on other companies.

Message 17 of 36
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@TATATA wrote:

I know NMAC (lender for Nissan and Infiniti) accepts credit card payments. I think there is a small fee involved, of course. 

They go thru a third party service that charges $13 for Visa, MC or Discover payments.   I think in almost all situations the fees will outweigh the value of any rewards that could be accrued though a CC payment.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 18 of 36
andre181
Established Contributor

Honda/Acura Finanacial Services will let you through a 3rd party processor for a $15 (I think) fee.

Wells Fargo lets you IF its a Wells Fargo Bank auto loan AND a Wells Fargo Bank Credit Card. Its treated as a standard purchase and you earn no rewards.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 19 of 36
Hammer23
Frequent Contributor

You can do it online at Money Gram for most lenders. It is EXPENSIVE though

WF Home Projects Visa $8500 / Towpath CU Visa $7000 / Chase Freedom Visa $5500 / Cap 1 QS Visa Sig $5000 / Barclaycard Ring MC $5000 / GE Lowes $5000 / Citi Best Buy MC $4250 / Barclaycard Rewards Visa $4000 / BFG CU Visa $3500 / Citi Sears$3000 / WF Visa $2000 / GE Walmart $1900 / GE Care Credit $1900 / GE Amazon $1400 / Cap 1 Kohls $1000 / GE Old Navy $800 / Webbank Fingerhut $700
Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.