Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic CLD with Chase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Automatic CLD with Chase?

I agree with others that it was more than likely the 95% util on the CS with only minimum payments that scared them. Can you quickly make a large payment on your CS? If so, I have heard if you call them up and offer to make a large payment on the balance, explain your situation (i.e. was taking advantage of the 0% APR, etc) that they have reinstated credit lines to others, so it may work for you as well. Worth a try.

Message 11 of 48
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I missed the 0 percent part, my bad.

I stand behind the rest of my post. With OP barely using 2 of the cards, and the other maxed out with min payments, im not even slightly surprised about the CLD. They can call and try to get it reinstated, but what im getting at is that its not like this is out of the clear blue sky. I can see why Chase did it, as upsetting as it may be.

Good luck OP.
Message 12 of 48
yfan
Valued Contributor

@go_FICO_self wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
You need to pay off debt before worrying about investing. Your gains are being washed away by the fact that youre paying credit card interest.

Honestly, can you really blame Chase? You barely use two cards you have with them. Then the third one youre maxing out and making minimum payments. As a whole, you dont look good.

Everyone wants a huge limit, and all the benefits, without actually giving the lender any business. That isn't how it works. Just like they determine if you deserve a CLI because youre using the card heavily (only one factor but still), if you barely use a card they may decide to CLD you.

OP stated it's 0%. you may now get off your soap box.

Despite kdm's oversight of this factoid, given that the OP mentions having invested the money it isn't unreasonable to think that OP doesn't have enough liquid cash sitting in an account to pay off the debt in its entirety should they need to. I agree that it generally isn't a good idea to use credit limit as investment funds.

Message 13 of 48
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@go_FICO_self wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
You need to pay off debt before worrying about investing. Your gains are being washed away by the fact that youre paying credit card interest.

Honestly, can you really blame Chase? You barely use two cards you have with them. Then the third one youre maxing out and making minimum payments. As a whole, you dont look good.

Everyone wants a huge limit, and all the benefits, without actually giving the lender any business. That isn't how it works. Just like they determine if you deserve a CLI because youre using the card heavily (only one factor but still), if you barely use a card they may decide to CLD you.

OP stated it's 0%. you may now get off your soap box.

Despite kdm's oversight of this factoid, given that the OP mentions having invested the money it isn't unreasonable to think that OP doesn't have enough liquid cash sitting in an account to pay off the debt in its entirety should they need to. I agree that it generally isn't a good idea to use credit limit as investment funds.

yeah, just felt liek the topic is veering off from OP's point. it's obvious that OP isn't seeking investment advice, despite your insistence to talk about it. His main interest is to have CL reinstated, not how he/she should spend with 0% BT offer.

but then again not the first time it has happened in these forums. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 48
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You cannot always just snap your fingers and get it reinstated. If they feel it was justified to take it away, they wont give it back just because you ask.

Nevertheless all OP can do is call and try. Really, everything we say is irrelevant as far as getting it reinstated because only Chase can answer that.
Message 15 of 48
yfan
Valued Contributor

@go_FICO_self wrote:

yeah, just felt liek the topic is veering off from OP's point. it's obvious that OP isn't seeking investment advice, despite your insistence to talk about it. His main interest is to have CL reinstated, not how he/she should spend with 0% BT offer.

And I'm talking about the the best way to try to get some of that CL back, which would be to dramatically reduce the balance on the maxed out card. Which would mean making a large payment on it. And one way to do so would be to cash out those investments, something I have hinted at. Not only is criticizing an OP's action that gets them in a bind in keeping with the normal goings on of this forum, given that in all likelihood, OP's choice on what to do with the 0% offer is directly contributory to the AA they are being subject to, that choice is not merely a relevant topic of discussion in this thread, it is in my opinion central to it. You can't fix a problem if you don't know what went wrong.

Message 16 of 48
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The investments absolutely have to be part of the discussion. If OP has to pull money out to pay the CSP so be it because if the concern is reinstatement, it IMO isnt gonna happen unless that balance is reduced significantly.

But OP still barely used the CLD cards so Chase may decide to maintain the limits. But with the CSP paid down at least OP wouldn't look as bad.

I know OP didnt want investment advice but its related here.
Message 17 of 48
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@go_FICO_self wrote:

And I'm talking about the the best way to try to get some of that CL back, which would be to dramatically reduce the balance on the maxed out card. Which would mean making a large payment on it. And one way to do so would be to cash out those investments, something I have hinted at. Not only is criticizing an OP's action that gets them in a bind in keeping with the normal goings on of this forum, given that in all likelihood, OP's choice on what to do with the 0% offer is directly contributory to the AA they are being subject to, that choice is not merely a relevant topic of discussion in this thread, it is in my opinion central to it. You can't fix a problem if you don't know what went wrong.

what they do with 0% has no relevance with the AA. the bank doesn't see it, you don't see it. one may take it to remodel their home, one may take it for investment. you're veering off topic again.

Message 18 of 48
yfan
Valued Contributor

@go_FICO_self wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@go_FICO_self wrote:

what they do with 0% has no relevance with the AA. the bank doesn't see it, you don't see it. one may take it to remodel their home, one may take it for investment. you're veering off topic again.

THAT they ran up the balance is relevant to the AA. HOW they ran up the balance in this case is relevant how they can reduce said balance, especially if they are not sitting on sufficient liquid funds to pay off debt, which makes HOW they ran up the balance relevant to this thread. Not to mention OP threw that into the mix themselves. Just because Chase didn't say, "Hey how dare you invest the money" doesn't mean that the method of incurring the debt is irrelevant to solving the issue of mitigating the effects of the AA, and more importantly, avoiding similar AA in the future.

And oh, if I'm off-topic, I'm sure someone with authority to definitively say so - say, a moderator, for example - will chime in.

Message 19 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think discussing how the money was spent is that far off topic, after all chase knows how it was spent. Perhaps to chase it is important...but we can never know.
Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.