Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic payment was done on card with BT, how much trouble am I in? :S

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Automatic payment was done on card with BT, how much trouble am I in? :S

Hello everyone, 

So my amazon membership just got charged to my Discover account, on which i have a balance transfer of ~2k,promotional balance rate ends mid next year and i have been making payments in order to completly pay it off by the last month of the promotional rate. I have been really good about not using that credit card and i have it in a drawer somewhere. Well, while checking my balances today i see that Discover's balance was higher than 3 days ago when i gave my monthly payment. Upon further inspection i gasp and see that there is a pending transaction, from Amazon prime membership. i immediately called, canceled the membership and paid the membership with another CC. They said they couldnt stop the charge but they have refunded me the money to the Discover credit card. I just see the pending transaction for now. 

Would the inmediate refund of the transaction save me from the interest ? or am i now screwed and i will have to pay the whole balance? I really don't want to because i'm working on another credit card. is there something i should do in order to avoid interest on my next billing cycle? Smiley Sad

I'm desperate! please give me some advice!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
sunkissed
Established Contributor

Re: Automatic payment was done on card with BT, how much trouble am I in? :S

I do not know the answer to your question. Call Discover and ask. I have always had a positive experience when I have had to call.

I do not have many auto-pay bills, but I do have a few. Most are monthly, a couple only happen annually – like the Amazon Prime fee. I keep a list of all my auto-pay. It details the amount, day (date) paid and which card is currently assigned to pay it. This makes it easier for me to keep track of them. Changes happen in life. If I do a balance transfer, I check the auto-pay list to be sure no auto-pays are assigned to the BT card. When a card is replaced, I check the auto-pay list to see if I need to make updates. I check that list any time I have a credit card change (closed account, BT, new expiration date, new card number, etc.). It reduces the likelihood of an auto-pay error.

I also create a calendar reminder for the annual auto-pays. I get a notified in advance of the auto-pay date just in case I’d like to make changes.

Good luck to you!

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 2 of 4
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

There's nothing to worry.

The credit will wipe out that charge and any interest associated with it.

Message 3 of 4
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

If the charge never gets out of pending status, there can't be interest.

You should check the terms of your Discover card anyway, though. If you're in the introductory period, you might have 0% on both BTs and purchases.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.