Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Available credit to income and CLIs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Available credit to income and CLIs

Is it difficult to get CLIs if your total available credit is already close to your annual income? I'm a professional student so I have a fixed and fairly limited income over the next few years. Right now, my available credit is about 80% of my income.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
cutemarty1
Regular Contributor

Re: Available credit to income and CLIs

Depends on your credit history and spending habits....

MY income is 105k but my total Credit line is only 35k for revolving cards.

My TL : Discover 45k / Venture 39k / BCE AMEX 33k / BoA123 Sig 24k / WF propel 17k/ Home Depot 16.5 K / Barclays Arrival WEMC 15k / Citi World WEMC 16.5k / CU Visa 11k/ Nordstrom Visa 20K / penfed rewards visa 20k / Citi AA 16.5k / spark business 15k/ Chase ink business 15k/ delta Amex platinum 14k/ boa rewards 7k /Macy Store 5.3K / Best buy 2.4K / BBRZ Gold 1.4K / PNC 20k / AppleCard 40k/ citi premier 12.7k / chase Amazon 7k
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see. Well the interesting thing is that I asked Amex for a CLI at 8 months which they denied b/c my credit to income was sufficient in their eyes. I was surprised b/c my history with them (and in general) is good, I waited much longer than the 61 days to request my first CLI, and I always pay my cards in full every month, leaving me about a 7% utilization all the time. The CSR said I should not expect any CLI until my income changes. However, 2 months later they approved me for a 2nd card with almost double the credit line and at the lowest available APR, which means my internal risk score with them is quite good. One factor is that the application did ask for total value of liquid assets while the CLI form does not.

Message 3 of 9
frogfan12
Established Contributor

@cutemarty1 wrote:

Depends on your credit history and spending habits....

MY income is 105k but my total Credit line is only 35k for revolving cards.

+1

My CLs are about $10K less than my salary. I'm sure I could apply for a few more cards and easily exceed my income, seeing that my last approval was for a $10K CL with AMEX. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 4 of 9
ferrari
Regular Contributor

For some reason I get a feeling that income is more of a factor in deciding to grant a CLI than to issue a new card. CITI would not increase my limit on my $8000 Forward because I have sufficient credit for my income. When my BOA card became a Visa Signature I was actually glad because that's $5000 that other creditors cannot see now.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ferrari wrote:

For some reason I get a feeling that income is more of a factor in deciding to grant a CLI than to issue a new card. CITI would not increase my limit on my $8000 Forward because I have sufficient credit for my income. When my BOA card became a Visa Signature I was actually glad because that's $5000 that other creditors cannot see now.

Hmm interesting point! Do you know if Forward comes as a Visa Signature? My impression is that it doesn't.

Message 6 of 9
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@ferrari wrote:

What do you mean by other creditors not being able to see $5000? What am I not understanding about the signature card??  I feel like such a credit newbie (with a 26 year credit history- LOL) I am so happy for these boards. I am finally learning all the stuff I should already know....

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 7 of 9
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

My annual income is about 65K.  My total open lines of credit is 102K. 

I think one of the main reasons I have been approved for such large credit lines is because I maintain the balances under 10% and PIF most of them before the statement is cut.

I haven't asked for a CLI in over a year but when I was building these lines I asked for CLI's at every opportunity and demonstrated that I could manage larger and larger lines of credit and not abuse them.

My largest CL is $14,200 and my smallest is 5K.

YMMV

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@crunching_numbers wrote:

@ferrari wrote:

What do you mean by other creditors not being able to see $5000? What am I not understanding about the signature card??  I feel like such a credit newbie (with a 26 year credit history- LOL) I am so happy for these boards. I am finally learning all the stuff I should already know....

Visa Signature is technically a NPSL card, kinda like an Amex Charge card. They do tell you what the internal limit is but you can exceed it as long as you pay it off. For a long time Visa Signature didn't report a credit limit (since it is technically what they call a credit access line). Recently some lenders have started reporting it, Chase for example.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.