Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average Credit, High Income, Need Card ASAP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Average Credit, High Income, Need Card ASAP

Update - I was approved for the corp card. Yay! 

However, I'm a little worried because the application came in as a hard pull even though our company FAQ said promotional inquiry which other creditors can't see. Am I mistaken or are these two different things? 

Message 21 of 29
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations @herestoasdulting on the corporate approval and WTG @NRB for suggesting corporate CC.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Congratulations @herestoasdulting on the corporate approval and WTG @NRB for suggesting corporate CC.

Thanks - I may have actually spoken too soon! Just got an email from AmEx saying my app was under review and they still have to approve it. Forwarded to our company's program manager for corp cards and she said she had never seen that email before and when she ran my app it said "completed" (as opposed to "declined"). Sigh... guess I'll just wait until the physical card is in my hands to celebrate. Our internal team is also looking into the hard pull situation for me. 

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

IMHO, no judgment at all, but is it only $300 or is it that the total owed is in the thousands of dollars. Since your salary is 6-figure, why not just pay it off and be done with it? Just a question.

I second paying it off. I was on a payment plan for many of my cards back in the day and a few years later, when I checked my actual FICO scores, found out the payment plan was never completed on 3 of the cards and ultimately they began to gain interest. I attempted to dispute and it unfortunately opened up the collection process again. I paid them off and my scores jumped crazy amounts. I totally get wanting to fight the charges, and say definitely do it. Congrats on the Amex card though! That's fantastic!

Message 24 of 29
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Congratulations @herestoasdulting on the corporate approval and WTG @NRB for suggesting corporate CC.

Thanks - I may have actually spoken too soon! Just got an email from AmEx saying my app was under review and they still have to approve it. Forwarded to our company's program manager for corp cards and she said she had never seen that email before and when she ran my app it said "completed" (as opposed to "declined"). Sigh... guess I'll just wait until the physical card is in my hands to celebrate. Our internal team is also looking into the hard pull situation for me. 

Is it Charlie Brown that says, "Good Grief!" Hopefully, this will be a quick fix and you'll be on your way. GL to you.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys, just wanted to update you. In the past 5 months I've been working hard to improve my credit. I got the collection deleted off my report and dropped my utilization to about 10%. I just checked my TransUnion FICO and it's 632 (which is not amazing, but my scores were in the mid-high 500s a few months ago). I still don't have a personal CC (just the corporate one) and am finally ready to get one! I did the AmEx pre-approval and saw I was shockingly pre-approved for the Gold. No idea if this is a good card or not, but just wondering if pre-approval normally means you'll 100% get approved?

Also, any recs for other cards I should consider given my score? 

Also x2... what interest rate could I expect for an auto loan? I heard dealers have a special FICO score they pull, the one thing I have going for me is a previous auto loan with Chase with a perfect payment history. I wouldn't want to borrow more than 10k (would put the rest as a down payment). Thanks forum friends!

Message 26 of 29
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Amex prequals are pretty good but not 100% approved . Congrats on your progress. Have you checked other prequal sites,such as Cap One or even Discover? Remember Amex pulls EX.
Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Hey guys, just wanted to update you. In the past 5 months I've been working hard to improve my credit. I got the collection deleted off my report and dropped my utilization to about 10%. I just checked my TransUnion FICO and it's 632 (which is not amazing, but my scores were in the mid-high 500s a few months ago). I still don't have a personal CC (just the corporate one) and am finally ready to get one! I did the AmEx pre-approval and saw I was shockingly pre-approved for the Gold. No idea if this is a good card or not, but just wondering if pre-approval normally means you'll 100% get approved?

Also, any recs for other cards I should consider given my score? 

Also x2... what interest rate could I expect for an auto loan? I heard dealers have a special FICO score they pull, the one thing I have going for me is a previous auto loan with Chase with a perfect payment history. I wouldn't want to borrow more than 10k (would put the rest as a down payment). Thanks forum friends!

I'd sign up for MyFICO and start getting monthly scores.  Auto scores are part of this, so you'll have that info.  It's somewhat expensive, but you make good money, so just comsider it the cost of knowledge.  Knowledge is power.  It's been invaluable to me, just to analyze and learn from.  Plus, I don't much care for playing games with signing up and cancelling with CCT and others.  I was in a similar boat as you recently with collections to delete, traveling for work, and $100k income.  We have it pretty easy, by comparison.  But that just means we can accelerate the process a little bit. 

I'd grab the PRG, if for nothing else just to use for work travel.  That way you're using someone else's money to build credit history and rewards points.  You could also use it for personal purchases, of course.  Just remember, it's a charge card, which means it must be paid in FULL every month.  After a few months, Amex will probably have other prequals for you.  Then you can get a revolving card once your scores are a little higher.  You could probably get one now, but it will have a higher SL if you wait until you have higher scores.  Definitely explore the Chase offerings though, before you start getting a bunch of cards, as they have a rule about how many new accounts you can have and still get approved for their cards.(Look up "Chase 5/24").  

On a positive note, you're in a great position.  You can avoid a big chunk of the rebuilding process(i.e. sub-prime cards, like Credit-One, etc.).  Good luck!  Things will start going very well for you, very quickly.  

**P.S.  I'd HIGHLY recommend setting up checking accounts with Penfed, in preparation for your auto loan.  They have great credit cards as well, but save those until you have all the Chase cards you want.  Penfed has some of the best auto rates around.  NFCU is also another good one, but you need to have an immediate family member(or grandparent) that served in the military.  Their auto loans are great, but not as good as Penfed.  They are very generous with card limits though.  

Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in your place this time last year.  Let me tell you what you can get with your score NFCU.  If you are eligible they are great they gave me 6500 dollar limit.   Capital One.  They gave me 500 dollars.  Lendup L Card 500 dollars.  And Bank of America 99/500 gave me 500 limit with 500 dollar deposit.  Other than that there are store cards. Commenity is great.  I got 3500 dollars from Pottery Barn.  

Anyway pay your bills on time and get a bunch of cards and your score will improve in no time.  In January of last year my scores accross the board were 508.  Now I am in the 720's.   I have also gotten 22 cards during that time.  Good Luck!

Edit: Just saw your update.  Yeah get the Gold Card. It is a charge card.  But make sure you get the 50k point offer. If you have to come back in incognito mode to get it. Do that. Once you get the Gold card in hand apply for the BCE.  They will do the soft pull on the second card so if you are rejected you don't lose anything.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.