Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average Starting Limit Amex

tag
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Average Starting Limit Amex

@scottwagnon wrote:

im guessing it has alot to do with income, as i report a lower income. i now have 4 accounts with amex but they have not granted me an increase since june 2011. neither my clear or hhonors has ever been granted an increase. they both still have their same starting limits. clear opened at 5k (march 2013) and still is. opened hhonors in july 2011 and still is at is starting limit of 5k. seems like i might get a higher starting limit if it weren't for the income i report to them.

+1  I think it is heavily tied to income as well.  my first AMEX was Blue  6k (since converted to BCP), now the card is at 15k, I understated my income at 83k a year.  Second AMEX revolver is HHonors  7.5k  auto-CLI from 6k  14 months old. 

my Zync card that hasn't seen a swiped in over a year, (myfico purchase appears every month)  is  still approving a 15k purchase via  "check spending ability".  

but to answer the OPs question starting limit seem to be  $1k to 6k  for low end approvals with scores of 690-740 that are barely prime an  AAoA under 2 years, and not a alot of other prime cards. On the other hand if you have an AAoA of 2+ years and a stable of other cards that are 5k+  you could see an approval with 7.5-35k with AMEX trying match or exceed your highest CL.  But in all cases  they are trying to impress you they want your bussiness and want to be your go to card.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamesdwi wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

im guessing it has alot to do with income, as i report a lower income. i now have 4 accounts with amex but they have not granted me an increase since june 2011. neither my clear or hhonors has ever been granted an increase. they both still have their same starting limits. clear opened at 5k (march 2013) and still is. opened hhonors in july 2011 and still is at is starting limit of 5k. seems like i might get a higher starting limit if it weren't for the income i report to them.

+1  I think it is heavily tied to income as well.  my first AMEX was Blue  6k (since converted to BCP), now the card is at 15k, I understated my income at 83k a year.  Second AMEX revolver is HHonors  7.5k  auto-CLI from 6k  14 months old. 

my Zync card that hasn't seen a swiped in over a year, (myfico purchase appears every month)  is  still approving a 15k purchase via  "check spending ability".  

but to answer the OPs question starting limit seem to be  $1k to 6k  for low end approvals with scores of 690-740 that are barely prime an  AAoA under 2 years, and not a alot of other prime cards. On the other hand if you have an AAoA of 2+ years and a stable of other cards that are 5k+  you could see an approval with 7.5-35k with AMEX trying match or exceed your highest CL.  But in all cases  they are trying to impress you they want your bussiness and want to be your go to card.

This, mostly, I had only one open credit card, limit > $15k when I app'd for the BCP with upper 700's score and AAoA of 8 years and they beat the limit by $400 instant approval. Income reported was significantly less than what jamesdwi stated so income might have some to do with it but not everything.  Might limit me on credit line increases in the future, especially a 3x.

Message 22 of 25
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

that's probably correct, but considering a lower income i choose to report and existing available credit that already affects me, that might not necessarily be the case. my fico scores are near 800 consistently and my discover limit is at 15.3k and DiscoverBank still offers me a CLI on request. i getting the impression that average prime is about 6 to 7k. (note i intentionally report less income than average too)
earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 23 of 25
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

This is a YMMV thing and will depend on your profile and income. My first and only Amex is BCP  with 5K starting limit compared to Marriott or CSP with 15K and Citi with 17K starting limit. But Amex has the 3 x CLI and quickly  this card will pass the limits of other lenders.

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just opened my BCP a few months back ($250 offer, couldn't say no) and started with a $9k limit - which would be my highest. I treid for 3x at about 90 days or so and was countered with $16k which I was pleased with. So I would say they start you out pretty high comparably. I have not asked for a CLI on any of my other cards since they would be a HP (except for Cap1) and its not needed at this point.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.