Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average credit limit need EXPERT ADVICE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Average credit limit need EXPERT ADVICE

Thank you for doing that. Can you tell me the reason for Gardner white and buckle closings? And maybe some of the others? What is your logic? Trying to understand better Smiley Happy
Message 21 of 22
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Average credit limit need EXPERT ADVICE

@Anonymous wrote:
I am trying to wrap my head around the credit blockages comment. I don't understand what you mean. Wouldn't it look worse to have so many cards close before the 24 month period? Before 60 months?

I just want to be sure to make the right choices for the long run.

I'd like to keep both Chase cards, discover, Amazon.com, lowes, Macy's, JCP, and possibly Capital One for sure! I love all of those cards and they all have benefits that I take advantage of.

When I say Credit Blockage, I mean that a CCC is going to look at your file and come up with some generalization about what amount of additional credit you may be able to handle, based on the total credit lines you already have active and open and available. So in the case of Discover, because of all the other accounts, all the new accounts, they are willing to extend you all of $200 of new credit. By keeping all these store cards open, you are saying "I really want to have a Buckle account, so that's one of my credit accounts. $200 at FingerHut, yeah, I really need that one too".

No, closing the cards won't negatively impact your score. I have closed many cards over the years, many with balances, because of various circumstances. In 2014 I opened and closed AMEX Delta Platinum for $10k and US Bank Travel Rewards for $17k, and closed both in October before they had even reached 10 months each. If a card is not appropriate for your long term file, and certainly in this case if it is going to get in the way of trying to get higher limits a year from now, close it now.

The cards you list, fine, keep those open. Close everything else. You don't have to do it all in one day, but start with the most obviously useless card like FingerHut.

And, in all honestly, stop posting new threads about the same topic. You've got at least four in the last two days that are slight variations on the same theme: Which cards should I close? It's not a complicated subject, but you are making it harder than it has to be. On another thread you are proposing closing regular credit cards. That's a distraction. Stick with closing the store cards as your first goal. If you aren't going to use an account, particularly a store card, close it now. Get focused on the few cards you really want for the long term. FingerHut and Buckle do not make that cut in anyone's wallet. Merrick, as a real credit card, could remain in your wallet indefinitely as long as there is no AF.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.