Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding APR charges after 15 month 0% promotion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Avoiding APR charges after 15 month 0% promotion

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to try to extend the time you need to get to a zero balance on a 15-month 0% promotional.  I tried everything to pay my balances off in the timeframe I was given but I will come up short.  Anyone have any ideas or what I can ask customer service about this issue?  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Avoiding APR charges after 15 month 0% promotion

Perhaps bt to another card?
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to try to extend the time you need to get to a zero balance on a 15-month 0% promotional.  I tried everything to pay my balances off in the timeframe I was given but I will come up short.  Anyone have any ideas or what I can ask customer service about this issue?  Thanks in advance.

It would really help to answer your question if you told us who the creditor is in this case.  Ultimately though it is going to take a phone call to the creditor to find out for sure if there are any options or do as AJC suggests above.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My aplogies  the creditor is American Express.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My aplogies  the creditor is American Express.

I have my doubts whether AE will extend your 0% offer but others may have had experience doing so.  I'd really suggest though that you either give them a call or get on chat and ask a rep if they offer any kind of extension or another way to avoid the interest.  Good luck

Message 5 of 14
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

I don't see a Discover IT in your profile. If your scores are over 700, you can probably get Discover's 21-month 0% APR on balance transfers. They charge a 3% fee, but that's less than you'll pay in interest if you can't pay it off in less than three months. 

Message 6 of 14
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Maybe seeing will they extend may help or cut the rate when it comes due. Amex can be tough with that. The worse they can tell you is no.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

They generally won't cut the rate until you're late or are short on the minimums.

You will most likely just need to BT to another card. Discover has a static 4.99% APR with 0 fee offer for the last year at least.
Message 8 of 14
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately, this rarely happens, but only your remaining balance is assessed at the standard APR.   As has been mentioned, your best bet is to see if you can BT to another CC.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right, only the remaining balance would accrue interest as soon as the 15mo promo ends. I know I mentioned Discover's 0 fee offer, but have you considered the Citi Simplicity? They're offering 21mo 0% APR with a 3% BT fee which IMHO is pretty great.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.