Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding Decreases Tips

tag
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

Avoiding Decreases Tips

Okay, so hopefully this is in the correct folder. If not, can someone move it to the correct folder please.

So I recently completed an app spree and added five new cards to my portfolio. I am a bit concerned about the recent posts I've read about abrupt CL decreases and was curious as to whether there was any tips to avoid from credit lines being decreased that anyone can give me. Obviously, I intend to use all of the cards on a monthly basis through strategy of charging bills to the cards and then paying them off (for example, cell phone bill charged to one and then paying it off each month, car payment with another and paying off each month, etc.)

Any suggestions for me to keep from experiencing decreases on the cards?

My Wallet (Updated Sept 2023):
Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
mattmix36
Contributor

Re: Avoiding Decreases Tips

If your signature is up to date, I don't think you have to worry about a decrease...Someone correct if I'm wrong, but from what I've read the people that are most at risk are those with "A LOT" of unsecured credit.

My Wallet: AMEX Platinum | Citi AAdvantage Exec $20k | Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $12k | United MileagePlus Club 8k | FNBO $25k | Chase Military Officers Club $9k | Discover IT $5.5k | BankAmericard $30k | PENFED Platinum Cash Rewards $10.5k | Barclay Rewards $6.15k | USAA AMEX $15k | USAA MC $16k | NFCU Flagship Rewards $25k | Logix $15k | Chase Ink Cash $12k | Paypal MC $5k | Walmart Discover $5.4k | Chase Freedom $2k | Sallie Mae $2k | Target RedCard $300 | JP Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards $5k | BoA Alaska $1k

Message 2 of 4
newUser0
Established Contributor

Congrats on your success.

My suggestions would be, don't charge a big amount on all of the cards (for 1-3 months) and keep your statement balance low.

After the accounts age, it does not matter much.

Message 3 of 4
PaBill
Regular Contributor

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

Okay, so hopefully this is in the correct folder. If not, can someone move it to the correct folder please.

So I recently completed an app spree and added five new cards to my portfolio. I am a bit concerned about the recent posts I've read about abrupt CL decreases and was curious as to whether there was any tips to avoid from credit lines being decreased that anyone can give me. Obviously, I intend to use all of the cards on a monthly basis through strategy of charging bills to the cards and then paying them off (for example, cell phone bill charged to one and then paying it off each month, car payment with another and paying off each month, etc.)

Any suggestions for me to keep from experiencing decreases on the cards?

With CLs of $2K or less, I think you'll be fine if you throw something on each account every 1-3 months...

EQ-805, EX-797, TU-804. Back in the Garden on 8/4/15. Just came out for a 5K CLI bump on the Barclay card...
Hover over a card for the CL...
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.