Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awesome Barclay Recon!

tag
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

Awesome Barclay Recon!

I gave up even pretending to be in the garden anymore, LOL. I decided that it's more important to try to get 0% balance transfers, so I can pay off my credit card debt once and for all, so I apped for a Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard. I've never had any relationship with Barclay before, and I requested a $4k balance transfer right with the application. I was denied online, and called for recon.

The analyst was very nice, but definitely grilled me about my usage, income, inquiries, etc. I explained to her that I just recently decided to re-evaluate my financial relationships, and that I have a few cards I want to get rid of, but that first I'm trying to obtain credit on accounts that have good rewards, and who I want to have a relationship with in the long term. I also said that I wanted good balance transfer offers, so that I can pay everything down faster. She asked me a few "trick" questions, probably just to see if I was going to be honest. Of course, I was.

After I answered all of her questions, she said that she was approving me for $5,000, so that they could handle my full $4k balance transfer request! I'm thrilled. This will mean that the vast majority of my balances are going to be on 0% offers for at least the next year, so I can finally make some headway in paying them off! Plus, I get 2% rewards on groceries and gas! That's about the best I'm going to do for groceries until I can get an Amex BCP.

Of course, given Barclay's reputation, not I really AM going to have to be in the garden. But that's okay. I shouldn't have any need to app for anything else for a while, now that I got this card. I'm definitely very happy with Barclay right now. Smiley Happy

Oh, and they pulled TU, in case anyone is wondering. 

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Re: Awesome Barclay Recon!

Way to go Smiley Happy

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 2 of 17
pkhuu78
Contributor

very nice..Congrats..

......NPSL.........14.5 K............30 K..........20 K.........10 K...............8 K.............7.5 K..........
Message 3 of 17
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congrats! I got the Barclay's Rewards MC earlier this year and Apple last Nov. So far Barclay's has been very good to me, knock wood. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 17
djrez4
Established Contributor

@Autumnslight wrote:

She asked me a few "trick" questions, probably just to see if I was going to be honest. Of course, I was.

Awesome recon!  Trick questions? 

Message 5 of 17
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

Trick question like asking me why I closed an account from a few years ago, when it clearly shows on my report that it was closed by the credit grantor. Or asking me vague questions about certain inquiries on my report, when the companies and dates for the inquiries are right there. I imagine some people, who aren't as familiar with their credit report as I am now, might not realize that she had the answer right in front of her, and they might try to fib a bit.

I give the credit analyst a lot of credit (no pun intended). She was very thorough, but fair and pleasant.

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 6 of 17
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Congratulations!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 17
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations! I have no experience with Barclays but 0% for a year is undeniably good. Great job on the recon.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 8 of 17
cd2004
Regular Contributor

wow awesome!

Current 3B scores May 2022: EQ: 806 TU: 798 EX: 797
Message 9 of 17
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I love Barclay's! I went from denied to approved with a $6,500 limit on my Travelocity Amex, and I xferred all my balances over to it at 0%!! Yeah!
The cred analyst I spoke to was extremely pleasant and helpful!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.