Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awesome Cell Phone Combo Cards

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Awesome Cell Phone Combo Cards

So, I have a contact for cell phones for my family through my employer, saving 18% each month.  Even so, I still have a bill of $245 each month for 4 phones.  How does one save money with cell phone contracts? 

Drop the replacement insurance!!!  I was spending a goodly chunk of change above and beyond that $245 for insurance on 4 phones.  There's a combo of credit cards that can give you adequate protection without a monthly insurance bill tacked on to your cell phone bill.

Purchase your phone with AMEX, all purchases associated with the cell phone to go on an AMEX card.  I just did that with my son's replacement phone, going to the HTC One, and will do that with my daughter's phone when she wants a new iPhone 5 C or S.  The manufacturer's warrantly is automatically extended by putting the purchase on the AMEX card, and from what I've read anecdotally, if one ever does have to make a claim, AMEX makes it painless...not so with Assurion or whatever cell phone insurance one carries. 

This from AMEX site:

** If the covered item has an extended warranty of 5 years or less, AmEx will double the duration coverage, up to a maximum of one additional year

** Amercian Express extended warranty coverage will not apply until the manufacturer’s warranty expires (and then the AmEx warranty kicks in)

** Coverage is up to $10,000 per covered claim, not to exceed $50,000 per Cardmember account per policy year.

That's pretty generous !

Pay your cell phone bill with Wells Fargo!  Yes, Wells Fargo.  From their website, under additional card benefits, this statement: 

Pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Credit Card and
you'll get up to $600 protection (subject to a $25 deductible) against covered
damage or theft at no cost.

That deductible is much smaller than what some of the insurance plans from the cell providers charge (last replacement I had with Assurion was $100 deductible).

From now on, gonna pay my cell phone bill with my WF card ! ! ! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: Awesome Cell Phone Combo Cards

If you are buying your phone for retail price than yeah you can do this. If you are doing the 24 months payments for the phones the insurance is required.

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 2 of 6
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:

If you are buying your phone for retail price than yeah you can do this. If you are doing the 24 months payments for the phones the insurance is required.

Doesn't have to be at retail price (discount price can apply with 2 year contract).  But yeah, if one is doing one of those new programs where you make a down payment and have to pay monthly, I can see where  insurance would likely be required.  I've always paid for the phones up front at the discounted price, I checked with AMEX to make sure they were still covered.  As long as the payment is made in total up front and on the AMEX card, the purchase is covered. 

Message 3 of 6
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@jsickz32 wrote:

Doesn't have to be at retail price (discount price can apply with 2 year contract).  But yeah, if one is doing one of those new programs where you make a down payment and have to pay monthly, I can see where it insurance would likely be required.  I've always paid for the phones up front at the discounted price, I checked with AMEX to make sure they were still covered.  As long as the payment is made in total up front and on the AMEX card, the purchase is covered. 

Its better to get the 24 months in my opinion. Now with the JUMP plan with tmobile you can change phones every 6 months by just returning the old one. 

I hate paying insurance for things (insurance for my 4K tv was gonna be 700..F that!) But phones ive always just paid for it 

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 4 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If it's iPhones you are far better off purchasing in apple store and getting Apple Care over the cell phone insurance because apple care replaces in store with no deductible vs. assurion which is 199 replacement on iphone and they have to mail it to you plus the $10 or so a month!!

I recently ordered my new iphone 5s with Discover because of the warranty replacement they have and upon receiving will purchase apple care online for it.

I don't see what paying your cell phone bill has to do with insruance on wells fargo... your bill has nothing to do with coverage for phone replacement because you pay for it with wells?

Message 5 of 6
wl123
Established Member

Nowhere near as good as WF but Citi Forward also provides coverage:

Automatic Cell Phone Protection* compliments of your Citi ForwardSM card - Pay your cell phone bill every month with your Citi Forward card and receive cell phone protection.

Pay your monthly cell phone bill with your Citi Forward card and receive:

• Automatic cell phone protection from damage or theft

• Coverage on phones and PDAs

• Up to $250 per eligible claim (with a $50 co-pay)

To get started, just pay your cell phone bill with your Citi Forward card every month and we'll do the rest!

Click below to find out how to setup recurring bill payments with your wireless service provider.

*Certain conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply to Cellular Telephone Protection, provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America. Cellular Telephone Protection is subject to a maximum reimbursement amount of $250 in excess of the $50 co-payment you are required to pay. For complete program details refer to your Summary of Additional Program Information.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.